• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird cooling issues on stock intel HS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ryanmartini

Right now I just have my quad at stock after I replaced my DS3.

Now the cpu is idling around 43-45 as it is a B#. But when I put it under any strenuous load it skyrockets to the failsafe temp.

Any ideas how a cpu in a case with good airflow idles at the right temp on a stock cooler then when its put under load, the temp shoots up ? The cooler is mounted firmly. Should I try maybe cleaning the cpu and hs with some alcohol?
Any special ways to put thermal paste on it ? Because Im lost.

Thanks,

Ryan

Yeah. I would remount it. Clean off the chip and sink with alcohol and coffee filters.

Use a rice sized portion of thermal goop and remount the sink. Too much or too little thermal goop can also create temp issues.

Another thing to be aware of is the Quads dump alot of heat, so the stock cooler may not be enough. Maybe a remount may lower the temps a bit, but don't expect miracles.

cleaned everthing and temps went up 10C idle... wtf I am about to go back to amd just because I never had any problems with their mounting system. this pushpin bs is annoying

update: took everything apart, put the fans on straight power so they are at max speed. 42-40-40-43 on stock cooler right now. ill let the new paste break in some before i push it.

Id turn off any fan speed adjustment in the bios... and also make sure the stock pins are FULLY seated and locked in... i had a friend have one of the pins pop out on him thus providing sucky cooling.

Id turn off any fan speed adjustment in the bios... and also make sure the stock pins are FULLY seated and locked in... i had a friend have one of the pins pop out on him thus providing sucky cooling.

It was gaming fine for about an hour then heated up in about 2 seconds. I think the stock cooler's life is just done. Time to shell out more money for this machine. Ive just had bad luck all over with this pc.

Back