• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Patriot 32gb.SSD 70bux amir

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
From what I was told: The solid state drive is instant as apposed to a normal hard drive with the conventional disk. They can also be destroyed easier from an electrical surge.

Might be some time before we see these SSD's stomp a velocipraptor's behind in the write department, but this is a decent deal for those that want to dabble in SSD's.

This same item is $105 after rebate at Newegg and other places. So this is the cheapest price I can find, making it a good deal. :beer:

I might even buy one, but to busy enjoyin the new chair that came today :santa:

I don't know, I never bothered researching ever since Anand came out with an article saying it was a basic flaw in the drive controller. There are a few threads in the storage section in which it might be useful to provide a link.

Cool. I just bought the OCZ 32GB on black friday for pretty cheap. If anything, I'll tinker with it and see if the claims are justified.

Might be some time before we see these SSD's stomp a velocipraptor's behind in the write department, but this is a decent deal for those that want to dabble in SSD's.

This same item is $105 after rebate at Newegg and other places. So this is the cheapest price I can find, making it a good deal. :beer:

I might even buy one, but to busy enjoyin the new chair that came today :santa:

Well you could use the chair to surf for some good deals ;)

Dominick32 did a nice comparison of the Mtron SSDs but AFAIK these are the cream of the crop on SSDs...

It's going to be quite some time for SSDs to be on par with current hard drives available now. But, as always, I'm excited to see fast speeds on those. Most failures of HDs that I've experienced has always been the mechanical aspects of it. Take out the mechanics, that's most of my problems gone!.

I just bought 2 SSD's about a month ago. I got a 64gb OCZ Core series and a 32GB Patriot.

Overall, I'm disappointed, but I've learned a lot.

I use the 32gb to hold my squid cache on my caching proxy. It's seek times are near instant, so it does this well and makes web surfing faster. No real complaints here.

The OCZ 64gb is used as my system drive on my new phenom quad core. The problem is that it freezes up totally sometimes for 30s+ at a time when it's doing writes. It made any kind of multitasking impossible (which is obviously not what I had in mind if I bought a quad core...) I rma'd it and got another, but the problem persists and is a limitation of the technology.

There are definitely things you can do to tweak it and improve performance. The single most critical thing is to change your IO scheduler. This has to do with how processes are granted access to the disk. Unfortunately, this functionality is not available in Windows. In Linux, change to noop. (Linux 2.4 kernels don't have this, you need 2.6+).

Next thing to do is get rid of the swap or paging file (depending on your OS it's called different things). In Linux, it's simple to just not use a swap partition, but this is a slight problem if you don't have enough ram. Luckily, ram is dirt cheap now and my 4gb is plenty to not need a swap. Windows keeps creating a paging file even if you shut it off, even if you have enough RAM. I think there is a way to fix this with registry hacks, but I haven't figured it out. Another option is to simply locate the swap or paging file on another drive (a magnetic drive).

In Linux, I mounted /tmp using the tmpfs (dynamically sized ramdisk). This way it doesn't use the disk for temp files, but the ram. Again... you need ram to do this. I put /var/tmp on a magnetic disk because it's too big to move into ram (it can easily hit 10gb on my system because I use ccache, and I need it to be persistent).

Turn off caching to disk in your browser or move the cache to a magnetic drive. These small writes are what tie up the system.

Basically, your goal is not minimize writes to the disk. Reads are fast, and boot up is very fast. Sequential writes are ok, but if you overwrite another file, it's very slow because of how it has to erase an entire block before writing to it again. Seek time is near 0, so for reading from a cache, they are extremely fast and so I'm happy with the performance in my caching proxy, but not as my system drive.

There is also a very important distinction to make between SLC and MLC drives. MLC are what I have... they are cheaper by far. SLC run about $750 for a 32gb drive if you get a good deal. MLC are a fraction of that. SLC do not have the same limitations as MLC's.

Overall, I wouldn't buy them now... I think the tech is immature and too pricey. Performance is simply not that great yet. They ARE very, very energy efficient, cool, resistant to physical shock (eg. dropping), and small.

I just picked up a netbook with a ssd. I'll let you know how that goes... I didn't really have a choice though, it doesn't take a regular sized magnetic drive, only a mini pci-e drive on a card. It will be good for battery life though.

Also with the cheap drives you want to eliminate stuff like NTFS writing the last accessed time stamp on files and all the indexing service stuff. There's some forum threads out there about how to cut out a lot of extraneous writes to the drive, if you have a fast internet connection and tweak the system well enough these seem to be ok. But definately if you do a lot of write intesive apps its not going to work well. I'm still waiting for a better drive, maybe with a write cache of ram of some sort to come along for my laptop.

It seems to me that this is a problem that will be solved in software if not in hardware. You could make a DRAM cache with a battery trickle that serves as a write cache. DRAM is dirt cheap now. Then you wouldn't be accessing the drive and waiting for it.

One thing that is odd though is that the write delay freezes EVERYTHING, even things that don't want to write to the drive. That's rather odd. It's not just slow performance for the apps. The entire desktop becomes unresponsive and you can't even click on a menu, nevermind start something.

FAT is faster than NTFS, and non-journalling filesystems are also faster. The noatime option in Linux will help too. NTFS and journalled filesystems like ext3 increase data integrity and reduce recovery time after a bad shutdown, but they do this at the expense of increased disk writing, so I'm not sure if I'd go to the other filesystem. It would depend on how important the contents are. I also hate the long fsck times on boot for ext2 if the drive wasn't properly unmounted (as opposed to ext3 which is very fast because of the journal).

Intel's MLC SSD solved the problem on the drive level rather than needing a software change. It's got to do with the drive controller apparently.

Back