• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WMI Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JoT

You can't fire me, I have
I'm running a Windows 2008 Server system and running into a bit of a snag when trying to do deploys to my clients: I need to be able to differentiate between the 64 bit Vista boxes, 64 bit Windows 2008 servers, 32 bit Vista boxes, 32 bit XP Pro boxes, and 32 bit Server 2003 system.

I've read that this is able to be done easily with WMI filters, but for the life of me I can't manage to get the filters to work right. I tried first just making a Windows XP filter -Select * FROM win32_operatingsystem WHERE (Caption like "%XP%")- but the thing doesn't work. I don't know if there is an operator that can differentiate between 64 bit and 32 bit, either.

Any help, please?

Last edited:
I finally got ahold of a WMI validator and that filter I pasted in does in fact work for parsing out XP systems. I guess I didn't give my network enough time to update the GPOs.

Still need to be able to separate between 64 and 32 bit though.

In the CIMV2 root, Win32_OperatingSystem class, you want the OSArchitecture property. That class also has places for build, verbose name, et al so that you can get operating system information like what you wanted and more (Yeah it's vista, but you can also tell it's business, enterprise, home premium, et al -- or yeah it's XP, but you can tell if it's home vs pro)

For future reference, I use and abuse the bajeezus out of this link: MSDN WMI Classes. The URL changes every now and then, so just keep updating the link in your favorites -- or just search MSDN for "WMI Classes" whenever you forget where you put it.

Back