• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking an E2200 on an ECS GF7100PVT-M3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Steven-1979

Sorry for the overly descriptive title. When I was searching that mobo, a lot of thread titles showed up from forums, so I thought I'd put it in the title in case someone is googling for answers. Fryes had a special on this combo of an E2200 + the ECS GF7100PVT-M3 for $80 + shipping not to long ago. NewEgg (where I got mine) had this for $120 - $20 combo bonus + free shipping. So I'm sure a ton of people have it. I bought it for a budget system, but like everything else, I started monkeying around with it. Just a note - both Fryes and NE reported the mobo as a GF7100PVT-M but most people recieved the GF7100PVT-M3.

OC'ing on the ECS mobo is a pain in the butt because it doesn't let you do things like change the fsb (except through the BSEL setting) or vcore. You can however do things like set the RAM timings/voltage, Vnb, etc.

The bios gives you the option to change the BSEL settings which negates the need to do a BSEL mod if you have this mobo:

25.jpg

I changed mine from 800 to 1066 and it brought me up to 2.93GHz. I could surf the web, run programs, etc but when I would run prime95, my system would crash. I figured since I could boot and use the computer it must have been some issue with the vcore. Unfortunately you can't up the voltage on that mobo without a voltmod. But that was relatively simple (special thanks to imperiousleader for the advice on the issue too who just did a voltmod on his own cpu).

First, you'll need something like a circuitwriter pen (what I used):

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=341-236

You'll also need a very small amount of electrical tape.

Step 1: Find the Voltage Identification Definition (VID) of your cpu. You can do this using coretemp ( http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ ) which is a free download. I got confused in this step because a lot of the tutorials said "default voltage" and my cpu ran at a lower voltage than this.

Step 2: Find your cpu's data sheet on http://processorfinder.intel.com/ ... E2200: http://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/316981.pdf and find the page that lists all the VID values. On the E2200 datasheet, it's page 15. My VID was 1.3125 ... after looking at the values, I decided to bump up my vcore by 0.1 since it was simplest. That would be the 1.4125 settings. If changing to 1.4 requires two changes while 1.4125 only requires 1, I suggest taking the easier route.

vidxy5.gif

You'll notice values of 1 or 0 across the chart for your current VID and the voltage bump you want. To change a 0 to a 1, you put a small piece of electrical tape on the pin. To change a 1 to a 0, you connect it to a neighboring VSS pin with the circuitwriter pen (from what I underdstand, you can also use tin foil and superglue ... making sure not to get any glue on the pins themselves. I suggest the circuitwriter).

So for my purposes, all I had to do was connect the VID4 pin to a neighboring VSS pin to make it a 0.

Step 3: Find out where the pins you need to alter are located on your cpu. The datasheet will have a diagram later on. For the E2200, it's on pages 39 and 43. Keep in mind, the diagram is a mirror image, so you'll have to reverse it. You can tell this by the location of the notches and arrow on the diagram vs on your chip:

diagryi2.gif

Page 43 shows that VID4 is on 4 - AK and there is a VSS pin right next to it. Using the chart on page 39, you can find where that it located (keeping in mind it is a mirror image):

vidstm5.gif

Step 4: Make the changes. If you're using a circuitwriter, I suggest taping off the area around your 2 pins, then applying the ink. The ink is very watery and will spread ... that combined with how small the pins are makes taping around it necissary. If you're using foil, you would superglue between the pins and attach the foil to it's touching both pins. If you're using electrical tape to turn a 0 into a 1, just cut a small piece of tape and cover only that pin. If you get too much ink on, just wipe it clean with an alcohol pad ( > 70%).

My changes required shorting out one pin:

1000794qq0.jpg

1000802ry4.jpg

Step 5: Restart and make sure everything is ok in bios. I confirmed the voltage was up by 0.1 and also just monitored the temps for a while to be safe (thought at that voltage, I didn't expect any problems):

1000808zv8.jpg

After that, my system ran stable at 2.93GHz, which is a nice boost. I was still on the crappy stock heatsink + fan, so the temps were a little high. The next time I make an order from NE, I'll probably pick up an aftermarket h/f and lower the voltage 0.03 or so to bring the temp down. But now that I have the new system in my sig, this rig is pretty much just a dust collector, so it's not a real priority.

image3hm3.gif

after 11.5 hours:

Average CPU temp @ 100% load: 68 C
Average vcore @ 100% load: 1.37

Note - in addition to the stock h/f, it's winter here and I had my heater running all night as I slept (when I ran prime 95) so the room was also pretty warm.

misceo4.gif

More info:

http://sg.vr-zone.com/articles/-intel-core-2-duo-voltage-boost/3904-1.html?doc=3904
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=586596

Yes, except you would use the E6300 datasheet for the voltmod and use 1333 for the BSEL setting since it is already at 1066

Steven-1979, great stuff!!!

good to see it was a complete success, I couldn't figure out to use the circuit pen whilst having the tape on the cpu, I just drew straight on it, but whatever works eh?

Thanks man! I really appreciate the advice you gave me too. I think SamSaveMax and I have the same mobo

Steven,
I have a 1 year old original mobo by Asus made for HP (cpu Q6600 originally installed).
That mobo's specifications support 1333FSB and seating in the closet.
From reading this post I kinda have an itch using it for the E6300..... but do not fully understand locating which pins to be shorted. A few pointer would be helpful. Thanks

E6300
Revision: B2
Default Voltage: 1.3525
http://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/313278.pdf
2cpuogg.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not an extremist. A little would be fine. Perhap .1 or .2 would be sufficient?

Last edited:
the only thing you really need from the cpu for vid mod'ing is its VID, which he showed in cpuz. there is no certian settings based on model just based on VID. the voltage table intel has in the spec sheet will be the same thru out all LGA775 cpus. samething with fsb's as well, intel has one table for all fsb's. i spent the time to collect all the different pad settings per fsb, here is that table.

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=5804035&postcount=17
please also read this post by ND4
http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=5804132&postcount=20

the best place to find the VID of your cpu is running coretemp with SPEEDSTEP and CIE off in the bios.... then you can do a proper voltage pad mod.

also if your cheap like i am, dont buy a 12dollar conductive ink pen, use a small rectangle of tin foil. put a small line of crazy glue inbetween the pads you want to connect then lay the piece of tinfoil over the pads and crazy glue... the pins in the socket will hold the tinfoil against the pads to make electrical contact..

As far as i have looked (just did a .3v undervolt on my e4300 via pad mod) it is possible to get EVERY single voltage in the vid table on a 65nm c2d ... so you got from like .8v to 1.6v to play with haha.

I'm not an extremist. A little would be fine. Perhap .1 or .2 would be sufficient?

Hi, Sam. On page 17, you can see the following values for your VID and for a 0.1v bump:

image1bk4.gif

To get the 0.1v bump, you have to change the VID4 to a 1 and the VID5 to a 0. To change to a 1, you need to put tape over that pin. To change a 1 to a 0, you need to connect it to a VSS pin. You can find the location of the VID4, VSS, and VID5 on page 47:

image2oc0.gif

image3wa5.gif

(green is tape, red is circuit pen)
image4an1.jpg

For 0.2v bump, you follow same procedure:

image5wn3.gif

image4eu7.jpg

I'm comparing between the charts that you made and from Intel pdf.
Starting to get the picture more clearly now.
Thanks so much Steven.

I wonder if a piece of aluminum foil would works?

UPDATE: I just read a thread confirmmed using kitchen aluminum foil works.

Last edited:
Great thread I picked up this same combo (e2200 + ecs mobo) the day after black friday for $60. I didnt see the bsel options on my initial comb through the bios so I thought I was going to have to hard mod it.

However it works just fine moving from 800 to 1066 bringing it up to a nice 2.93ghz. My chip has a high vid which most likely helps it to overclock to this speed without a voltage jump even though it wouldnt reach the same max speeds on a good mobo compaired to a low vid chip.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 5,444
Steven 1979 ima give you some mad props... you are the only person "noob" (recently registerd) person on here that has pretty much pad modding down pat. its not hard when you take a look at the white papers but it can easily get confuzing, espically in dealing with VID pins.

Props to Steven!

Great thread I picked up this same combo (e2200 + ecs mobo) the day after black friday for $60. I didnt see the bsel options on my initial comb through the bios so I thought I was going to have to hard mod it.

However it works just fine moving from 800 to 1066 bringing it up to a nice 2.93ghz. My chip has a high vid which most likely helps it to overclock to this speed without a voltage jump even though it wouldnt reach the same max speeds on a good mobo compaired to a low vid chip.

Nice. Thats a pretty good deal. $60 for a cpu/mobo and about 1 minute in bios to get 3ghz stable!

Steven 1979 ima give you some mad props... you are the only person "noob" (recently registerd) person on here that has pretty much pad modding down pat. its not hard when you take a look at the white papers but it can easily get confuzing, espically in dealing with VID pins.

Props to Steven!

Back