• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who uses voip?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slimmy

Tell us which service you use, cost, quality/reliability and length of service.

Packet8

199/yearly + about 4.80 in taxes a month. = about 21.38 a month.

The quality is great about 98% of the time and reliability is about 95%. Mostly
updates and my cable internet is what takes packet8 down. Also using utorrent causes some real problems with my phone cause of lack of bandwidth.

Been using them since November of 2005.

Last edited:
I've had Time Warner for about a year and a half and love it. The realliabilty is very high, I would say greater than 99%. I think it may have been out for 5 hours in the last year. I have never had a bit of trouble with call quality. I can't seem to make it drop, even when my internet is maxed out with usenet the phone doesn't have a bit of trouble. Cost is the downside. Its either $40 or $45 a month bundled with the internet and cable.

Vonage * Caller ID with Name
* Call Waiting
* Voicemail Plus®
* Call Transfer
* Enhanced Call Forwarding
* 3-Way Calling
* Caller ID Block
* Call Return
* Do Not Disturb
* Anonymous Call Block
* Repeat Dialing
* International & Directory Assistance Block
* Call Hunt
* Ring Lists
* Vonage Access
* Bandwidth Saver®
* Network Availability Number®
* Click-2-Call®
* Vonage Online Account
* 211 Dialing
* 311 Dialing
* 411 Enhanced Dialing
* 511 Traveler Information
* 711 Dialing
* 811 Dialing
* 1-700-WEATHER
* 1-700-GREETINGS
* Vonage Contact Center (beta)

I think it is $21ish a month.

I have home VOIP service through T-Mobile (T-Mobile@Home service). I've had it since launch (4 or 5 months ago?). Its a $10/month add-on to my mobile calling plan. Unlimited local and nationwide long distance. Comes with all of the standard features. Quality and reliability is great. I recommend it to anyone that already has T-Mobile cell service.

I thought there would be more people here using voip here.

We (me and soon to be ex-wife) use cell only. I'll bet that most here are on the cell only plan.................

I have Time Warner VOIP. I think it is $39.95 a month. Been about a year or two now since I got it.

At first it was not very good service. Then an on the ball phone tech came out. Of all things.. Found out my phone was to close to the computer and getting interference. Not sure why it was like that. The phone sat in the same spot for along time on POTS with no issue. Be it as it may. He troubleshot the issue and the phone is super reliable and the quality is really good. I really like the caller ID on the tv.

I use the phone over 4000 minutes a month. The last outtage was a pole line that got taken out by a snow storm. Time Warner patched it up pretty fast. I think it got fixed within an hour from the outtage. No TV/www/Phone, the whole time.
I don't think I ever seen new line get strung that fast.

i used to have Time Warner for service, however, they jacked me around so i disconnected it. they blatantly lied on the phone about my pricing.

took me 3 months to get the bills straight, even then, the REP that discontinued my service did it incorrectly and instead of fixing the problem, went right to the next problem. thus making it appear that i had service still.

now my question is, is anyone running a SIP box (asterisk or a asterisk now appliance) with services?

Ive got the timewarner/roadrunner voip. Just as reliable as having the phone company in lincoln. Never had a problem with it, The modem I have has battery backup so I will still have phone service and internet if the power goes out.
I used to use magicjack as my main phone and it was ok, but after a couple months they sent me an email saying they upgraded their services to better lines, and it just sucked butt from then on.

Skype w/Skype-In. $60/year for unlimited calling in the US and Canada. Reliability and quality have been excellent on numerous phone conversations over the cable internet. I also am ordering a Skype wireless phone, anywhere there is an open access point I've got service. Bummer if I have to call 9-11 but a man needs to be capable of taking care of himself.

I use the company I work for. Its great, uses pretty much the same method as vonage but its reliable and good.

Honestly I probably would be a voip user anyway, had I not worked at a voip company, especially this one. Reliability is just about the same as a Bell line.

Using Comcast VOIP and have been for over a year, the quality is perfect but the price sucks, currently looking for alternatives at home ( tinkering with Magic Jack) and looking at making the switch to voip at work to replace an ancient avaya system.

Im also using Skype on a yearly plan. Think its $30 a year and that combined with my cell phone (running skype) does everything.

Back