• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have sinned [and I am a n00b]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enablingwolf

Senior Member overclocking at t
Yes, I admit I am a sinner. I went and bought (for $1100,) an OEM machine. Gateway FX6800-01e to be exact.

I offer this excuse. A local supplier was contacted so my wife would not catch on about her birthday present. I was going to get her a near abouts the same machine.
There was total fail on the local suppliers fault. Which I corrected on my credit card. So I opted to just go OEM. I needed the machine ASAP and could not wait for a reorder/ship of parts someplace or to my home. Unless I went overnight. Her birthday is that close.
She is stoked she has an i7 920 and a nice 22" monitor. Now she can play Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 happily. The first OEM my wife or I have bought since 1998. Which was a Gateway SCSI server box.

May the overclocking gods have mercy on my overclockers soul.
For penance, I will overclock my E2200 Linux box to 3300Mhz and keep it there until Spring.

As long as you feel guilt for your actions, I'm certain that your penance will be just ;)

Hey man, glad it worked out decently in the end :beer:

Repentance s the first step to salvation. This sin is forgiven, it made HER happy.

True yet wolfy needth to bear fruits of thine repentance. Like, say out loud 10 "Our Processors" and 15 "Hail motherboard's of i7." Then and only then will your heart be clean of the OEM debauchery.

Go, and sin no more~!

Not for me to choose on the i7 machine. Plus the wife won't get off the machine to let me install anything. I did run a few benches, but she swiftly kicked me off and continued to set her OS to her liking. Then game some Spore and Roller Coaster 3.

She did ask if Linux would run on it. :rolleyes:

Not for me to choose on the i7 machine. Plus the wife won't get off the machine to let me install anything. I did run a few benches, but she swiftly kicked me off and continued to set her OS to her liking. Then game some Spore and Roller Coaster 3.

She did ask if Linux would run on it. :rolleyes:

lol ... +1000 wife faction ... dont mess it up ... wife faction is delicate and volatile

i just gave my wife her anniversery/x-mas gift last night (anniversery is on the 22nd) ... took a min to register and then she almost swooned ... purple 8gb ipod nano ... but i know that the faction plus will prolly be short lived (shes already asking me to get it engravd :( )

Last edited:
lol ... +1000 wife faction ... dont mess it up ... wife faction is delicate and volatile

i just gave my wife her anniversery/x-mas gift last night (anniversery is on the 22nd) ... took a min to register and then she almost swooned ... purple 8gb ipod nano ... but i know that the faction plus will prolly be short lived (shes already asking me to get it engravd :( )

You got it easy. My wife asked about crossfire .. and more RAM.

My wife called earlier and asked about her baby.. Well I told her I was doing fine. She called me a dork and said "the computer you idiot!"

It is driving me batty having that machine here and knowing darn well the BIOS is locked down.

You got it easy. My wife asked about crossfire .. and more RAM.

My wife called earlier and asked about her baby.. Well I told her I was doing fine. She called me a dork and said "the computer you idiot!"

It is driving me batty having that machine here and knowing darn well the BIOS is locked down.

heh ... i could only wish ... my wife views my computer like it was "the other woman" ... and you can guess what happens when they get together ... lol

Oh the shame... A freakin' prebuilt? But if she is happy, then by default, so are you! You did sneak in a couple of upgrades for your box rght? :beer:

Oh the shame... A freakin' prebuilt? But if she is happy, then by default, so are you! You did sneak in a couple of upgrades for your box rght? :beer:

Not sure yet. Mine is doing fine for now. I want to build an i7 myself now.

Oh, and MARCI. No she does not have sister. She does have a younger brother who was born in 1967 and is married with children. So no action there for you.

ahhahaa... Nice title edit whomever did it. :thup: I lol'ed

As for the specs.

It is holding a what looks like a Foxconn custom board. Which has no IDE or PCI. It is all PCI-e slots. The video card I am not fully sure. Since it is just a normal PCB and a what looks like a HiS cooler. The case itself. Has a touch screen for media and offers two removable hotswap caddies. There is two pop up panles for cards and USB and the ilk.

Now for the basic specs. I did pull some parts out to move them around. Here is a pic of the innards. Before I moved stuff around. It gives an idea of what is stock.

PICT4825.JPG

Here is the site for the maker. This is not a Dell or Hp. Support is in the US and it is proud t obe so. Also the machine is not fully loaded with crap. I uninstalled 4 things that I could not stand for my wife to have on her machine. One was Norton 360. There was two Gateway things that could of stayed, but why keep them.
http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668210.php

your tellin me your wife knows what crossfire is :eek:

your sins are forgiven however, you have done well in teaching the fairer sex about computers.

Back