• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TRUE or IFX-14

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-Blue-

well i would love to know how much i would benefit from changing to the TRUE.. i'm not too convinced with the IFX.. just huge and really not performing as expected.. maybe i'm just spoiled from water cooling but for the price of this animal i was expecting a lot more...

well i would love to know how much i would benefit from changing to the TRUE.. i'm not too convinced with the IFX.. just huge and really not performing as expected.. maybe i'm just spoiled from water cooling but for the price of this animal i was expecting a lot more...

I think I remember reading reviews when the IFX first came out. It was pretty decent in performance compared to the TRUE. But the TRUE was still better. At higher heat loads, the IFX got closer in performance as it seemed to be able to handle more heat, it just couldn't remove it as fast because the TRUE as more heatpipes.
But this is just going on memory from a while ago. There should be reviews out there.

Does it need to be lapped like the true, to get the best performance from it? I don't personally know but it would make sense since they are both Thermalright highend cooling solutions. Also, how much air does the current 120mm fan put out? Maybe going to a higher CFM/static pressure fan might make more of a difference. It will also be louder though.

Axis

Check out this thread. From the looks of the discussion the two heatsinks cool roughly the same, but the IFX-14 can do the job effectively with lower pressure fans compared to the TRUE.

I think I remember reading reviews when the IFX first came out. It was pretty decent in performance compared to the TRUE. But the TRUE was still better. At higher heat loads, the IFX got closer in performance as it seemed to be able to handle more heat, it just couldn't remove it as fast because the TRUE as more heatpipes.
But this is just going on memory from a while ago. There should be reviews out there.

i trust more the opinions and tests of the community than those of review sites :)

Does it need to be lapped like the true, to get the best performance from it? I don't personally know but it would make sense since they are both Thermalright highend cooling solutions. Also, how much air does the current 120mm fan put out? Maybe going to a higher CFM/static pressure fan might make more of a difference. It will also be louder though.

Axis

it could probably use the lapping just like my cpu, just never done it before and by it's shape and size it looks like it would be quite hard to do it properly

stick with the true. If you want better cooling, then it is time for water. :santa:

i was on water but during august i started having a lot of leaks for some reason and lost a mobo, a 8800 gtx and a 280 gtx due to them.. so i kind of got sick of it :(

I think he has the IFX and wants to know if it is worth upgrading to the TRUE

:beer:

Check out this thread. From the looks of the discussion the two heatsinks cool roughly the same, but the IFX-14 can do the job effectively with lower pressure fans compared to the TRUE.

that link was quite informative.. seems that with my fans Noctua NF-P12-1300 the IFX would be better only 54 cfm it's running 3 of those all flowing in the same direction,for the TRUE i would need to change to much higher flow fans and that would really boost noise..

i hate the fact that i can't get my water system back on it's feet :(

Back