• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need an accurate temp/status program

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tubesock700

Registered
I am attempting to overclock my 9950BE but it seems like every program I have varies from the next in temperatures and frequencies. A screen shot below is all of my programs open at the same time.
--AMD Overdrive says 2.9Ghz at 17C and 1.326 Vcore
--CPU-Z says 2.9Ghz
--Core Temp says 1.5Ghz at 17c and 1.28Vcore
--Hardware Monitor (tool that came with my Biostar TA790GX A2+) says 1.5Ghz 33C CPU and 20C System and 1.33Vcore
--Speedfan says core is 18C and sys (temp1 I presume) at 33C (dont know where temp2 and 3 are.

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/Tubesock700/?action=view&current=bah-1.jpg

I want to believe that Coretemp, Speedfan, and AMD Overdrive are correct w/ 17-18C but Coretemp says I am running 1.5Ghz...

The majority is about 18c and 2.9Ghz, but I don't know who to believe. Does anyone have a for sure answer or a known program that is going to be correct?

Thanks,
Tubesock

Core Temp reads the voltage from the BIOS, CPU-Z does it from sensors that tend to run a few degrees high. I have mine set at 1.45 in the BIOS and it shows 1.475 in CPU-Z. I like Core Temp because of the little temp reading it shows in my task bar. I like both programs for different reasons.

Well, the temp is showing about the same with CoreTemp, SpeedFan, and AOD so I don't even see a problem there.

vCore depends on which program:
CoreTemp and AOD show the BIOS setting.
CPU-Z and HW Monitor show the "actual" vCore, which is really a calculated temp based off several pieces of information.

For your CPU speeds - are you running CnQ??? That can really screw up the readings on several programs when you consider the possible sample rates ...

I want to believe that Coretemp, Speedfan, and AMD Overdrive are correct w/ 17-18C but Coretemp says I am running 1.5Ghz...

The majority is about 18c and 2.9Ghz, but I don't know who to believe. Does anyone have a for sure answer or a known program that is going to be correct?
Theres no such thing as absolute CPU temp unless we get access to die hotspot and die Tcase measurements, but for our needs, all you need is to follow AOD/CT temp. Those are correct for their intended purpose. Keep them sub 70-ish °C under worst case and you're doing fine. :)

If they are wrong (haven't seen one yet), the internal HTC will trip if you exceed maximum safe temp. anyway and that'll make you aware.

CT isn't a speed working app - just estimates it and gets it wrong when you change multi/bus speed after boot, whether intentionally or through energy saving mechanisms. Just like QuietIce mentioned.

Back