• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rumor: Zune Phone is Coming to CES 2009

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shiggity

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/12/rumor-zune-phon.html

164103_3.jpg

What I'm really excited about is that it's rumored to have the new Nvidia Tegra CPU in it.

If you don't know about the Tegra, it's a next generation CPU for smart phones. (It'll be the first ever CPU + GPU system on a chip for smart phones) http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=564664&highlight=Tegra

I would be surprised. MS has a lot more to lose than they do to gain from this. A Zune phone will never be as popular as an Iphone, its simply not going to happen. So MS is not going to make a ton of money off of it. However I would be willing to bet they do make a ton of money off of Windows mobile. By going into competition with there own hardware against the other hardware manufactures is likely to irritate them to no end, possibly enough to drive them to focus on Android an costing MS a lot more than they will make in hardware sales.

I would be surprised. MS has a lot more to lose than they do to gain from this. A Zune phone will never be as popular as an Iphone, its simply not going to happen. So MS is not going to make a ton of money off of it. However I would be willing to bet they do make a ton of money off of Windows mobile. By going into competition with there own hardware against the other hardware manufactures is likely to irritate them to no end, possibly enough to drive them to focus on Android an costing MS a lot more than they will make in hardware sales.

MS doesnt need to make a lot of money on it. Hell, they lost money on Xbox for a longtime...

Yes, but they will make money in the long run. More than if they didn't build it in the first place. With a phone I think they will end up losing money in the long run, they have more to lose here than to gain.

Any word on what providers will carry it, and how much it will cost?

If the release it for verizon...I'll be all over it.

No idea, it's not officially confirmed yet.

But I dunno if Verizon would pick them up because they just got the new Blackberry Storm smartphone.

The processor is the main thing I'm interested in, it should be able to accelerate video close to HD or at least have the best looking video of any smart phone.

I think if they can actually make a good phone, with all the important features and the OS WORKS well (as good or better than iPhone) then they will do fine. I think people WANT an iPhone killer, just haven't seen one yet. I was hoping it would be the BB Storm, but that kinda fizzled because BB just patched in the touchscreen stuff.

I'm hoping for the best with this phone. I really hope it IS an "iPhone killer". Not because I dislike Apple or anything, just that it would be nice if someone finally did it after all this time. Many have tried and none have gotten there yet.

EDIT: MS seems to have a decent handle on touch stuff with their tablet stuff and with surface, hopefully they put that to good use and make a slick touchscreen interface. :cross fingers:

Anyone tried the Google 1? I haven't heard much about it, but it seems like the main competitors as of now are the iPhone, BB Storm, Voyager (not really a smartphone, but has the features of one), and the G1

Back