• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I use my nVidia GPU for Seti?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think there is a SETI GPU client somewhere, but last time I checked it actually reduced RAC because it sacrificed one of the cpu cores.

There is an S@H client, but not really worth using. We are currently have one in development that will run AP.

I think there is a SETI GPU client somewhere, but last time I checked it actually reduced RAC because it sacrificed one of the cpu cores.

Yeah, IIRC performance was awful for the find pulse part of the code. GPU's may have lots of raw horsepower but without branch prediction highly divergent code can be a bit of a nightmare. They(whoever it was over at lunatics/kwsn who was working on it) may have improved things but last I knew using the GPU app slowed things down like freakdiablo said.

But, like PhysX said berkeley is working on a GPU app for astropulse (for Nvidia cards), which is now in beta. To avoid confusion, the beta is different from the live project. Credit from doing beta is separate from the main project and helping out berkeley by running a beta app is definitely not set it and forget it. App may hang, bad work units may go out, ect ... not something I would bother with. I point it out though because soon it might be ready for live and I'll be angry I have an ATi card ;)

*rolls around in glee*

I don't think my 8600GT would be the best cruncher in the world though :p

where can i find this seti cuda client? ?
I was using the latest boinc with my GTX280 and it was crunching astropulse work and now it just BSODS my computer.

I found these two discussions that may be helpful. Note: I disabled AP in my SETI profile, installed the new BOINC Client, then installed the newest nVidia drivers. No Blue Screen yet for me, but do not have the optimizations installed for CUDA nor AstroPulse.

..........using the Modified SETI MB CUDA + opt AP package for full GPU utilization but, in addition you'd have to also update the exe for it from this message. You could also get help installing the app in that thread if you should need it.

You'll also need this info on the cc_config.xml file to be able to run AP on the cpu and MB on the gpu at the same time.

You would need to completely shut down Boinc and verify it's shut down in Windows Task Manager before you put the app info file and the other files associated with it in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\projects\setiathome.berkeley.edu

The Application Data folder is a hidden folder you would have to un-hide from Folder Options located in the Windows Control Panel.

1) This package (Raistmer's_opt_package.rar) can be downloaded from http://files.mail.ru/CIXVXO .
It also can be downloaded from this post on Lunatics forums:
http://lunatics.kwsn.net/gpu-crunch...-gpu-utilize.msg12177.html;topicseen#msg12177
Targed hosts: Windows x86, SSE3 support for AP, CUDA support for MB.

2) It consist of modified SETI MB CUDA and current SSE3 opt SETI AP binaries with corresponding app_info.xml file
3) Modification that I have done increases CUDA worker thread priority in SETI MB CUDA that allows more fully GPU usage while keeping all CPU cores busy too. That is, using of this build can increase total performance of your host for BOINC tasks.
4) MB binaries based on CUDA MB sources recived from Eric (with small modification), opt AP is just repacking of current Lunatics opt AP release (SSE3 build).
5) It's not "official" Lunatics release so you could blame only me (or yourself, or BOINC bugs and so on and so forth) for any issues you encounter.
6) I still can' check AP+MB work (no AP tasks here) but it works just fine with CUDA MB + einstein@home combination.
7) For best CPU and GPU usage I recommend to set number of processors available for BOINC to real_number_of_cores+1. This will mitigate current BOINC bug with CPU+CUDA scheduling and will allow fully load CPU and GPU.
8) Installation instructions are the same as for any opt app: stop BOINC, decompress all files in archive into SETI project directory, restart BOINC.

Sources:
http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=51042#846982
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=50829&nowrap=true#846978

Back