• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Poor performance 2160 +Ip35

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

glen

Registered
I was real happy with the speed of my 2160 + IP35 machine. One day I updated the bios to 16. The performance is terrible now. Copying files from drive to drive takes 10x as long. I updated the bios to 17 (the latest) same problem.

Running CoreTemp's latest version it shows Tjunction at 100C and Core 1&0 at 50C.

This is not an overclock and these reading are at idle. The cpu fan is spinning.

Is it possible these high temps are causing the CPU to throttle? I did accidentally run the CPU without the fan for 5 minutes once. Is it possible for a CPU to go bad with the syptom being high temps?

Trying to figure out if I need a new CPU, new MB, or fresh windows install.

Super pi is 25 seconds

The HD Tune is a pathetic 4 MB/s on any of my hard drives.

It seems that the motherboard is bad ?

OK this problem is only on the OS drive (which is in two partitions, only the windows XP partition is down at 4 mB/sec).

I am starting a thread in a more appropriate forum

Defragmenting is not going well, stuck at 30% for 15 minutes. C is only 8 out of 25GB Looks like I may have to format C and reinstall windows.

With paging file off, it was able to defrag C:. However the performance is still 4 MB/s.

Under device manager of the Primary IDE Channel 0 is in PIO mode. Not sure how to get it out of this and why it only affects one partion of the drive.

in device manager go to the "primary ide(or sata) channel" listed in the ata/atapi controllers section. then get into the properties for that channel and go to the "advanced settings" tab. now click on the drop down dealing with transefere mode, set it to "DMA if available". then just restart you computer ...

It is set to DMA if available, but lists current mode as PIO so it can't be changed.

I was reading the HD tune results wrong, it is actually both partitions of the hard drive that are slow. So either the controller is bad or the hard-drive.

I got it to snap out of PIO buy deleting a few lines in the registry. Thanks for pointing me toward PIO, I wouldn't have thought to look there or google that term for solutions.

Saved me from buying a new HD/MB.

Back