• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

All time favorite side/mini game

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jas

So what is your all time favorite side/mini game or side quest in a game?

Fishing in Zelda for the N64 really stands out for me. I remember fishing for hours and hours...

Original Zelda, Money Making Game with the old man in the tree in the North East corner of the map....I would go in and out of that tree no less than 15 times when in that area.

Runner Up....Blades of Steel halftime show was sometimes a short spurt of Gradius.

...Humm I just realized both are NES games...maybe I just found them way more fascinating when I was a kid because I also remember Shenmue for Dreamcast had full versions of old Sega games in the arcade building that was pretty cool and Kotor had that pretty fun card game...but nothing jumps out at me as much as the Zelda and Blades of Steel mini games.

In the gold saucer in FF7, quite a few fun mini games. The Bike chase is great. even the little basket ball game is fun!

But the best is the roller coaster ride where you have to shoot the targets. God, i played that mini game so much, i can STILL remember where and when 90% of the targets will show up.

Breath of Fire 3's Fishing games were FUN. I prefer that fishing game over Ocarina of Time's fishing game.

Man...i'm having trouble thinking of other mini games. Honestly, I can't remember the last game i played in the past 2 years that has an actual mini game in it....Been a ton of side quests...but i can't really remember too many Mini games...

Developers need to put Mini games back into games dammit!!

Developers need to put Mini games back into games dammit!!

Yeah I agree, it woudl be great if game makers got back to making games that were made for the "fun" element, and put in little mini games like they used to, rather than focusing so much on "realism".

Yeah I agree, it woudl be great if game makers got back to making games that were made for the "fun" element, and put in little mini games like they used to, rather than focusing so much on "realism".

Or if developers would stop putting 25+ mini games on a disc, and calling the overall product a game.

I love love love me some fishing in Twilight Princess! They took everything awesome about the fishing in Ocarina of Time, and improved on it in Twilight Princess. It is better in every conceivable way

I wouldn't say it's my favorite by any means, but Super Turbo Turkey Puncher in Doom 3 was mildly entertaining for a few minutes :)

Otherwise, the dice poker and fist fighting from the Witcher is pretty cool.

The secret Chicken level in Dungeon Siege.

Those super tough chickens cracked me up.

Remember the chicken gun...that shoots chickens out?

Chicken Gun
Faster Attack Speed
Two Handed Weapon
Damage: 200-350
Range: 10 Meters
25 STR & DEX Requirement

Received afetr beating the final boss. An old man who shuffled around on one bad leg but packed one heck of a wallop.
I remember doing a lot of running in this level.:p

Last edited:
I would have to say the most annoying may be the lockpicking minigame in oblivion.

I ended up getting good at it, but never enjoyed it.

Arcomage from Might and Magic 7/8 gets my vote. Close second would be Blitzball from FFX, if that counts.

Close second would be Blitzball from FFX, if that counts.

Oh it counts, too bad it sucks. :D ( yeah, i couldn't stand blitzball ).

But i COMPLETELY forgot about Triple Triad from FF8. God, i played that card game SOOO MUCH. and it's 10 times better than tetra masters from FF9.

Back