• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A riddle for you

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cw823

Honeybadger Moderator
What is odd about this screenshot?

This is a QX9650, with (2) 9800Gts. The 8800GT is in another PC.

Attachments

• riddle.jpg
    riddle.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 181
You have it set to show processes from all users - and the other computer is a "user". That's my guess, but it's just a guess.

You must be referring to .....2509,5009 etc. completed out of 250000! Whats up with that?

When you are done you'll have an extra 09 completed. That ought to result in some kinda bonus points!:beer::)

Great catch, I didn't see that, to be honest.

My curiosity is this. You can see in the screenshot that both VMs are averaging around 3300 PPD. But task manager shows (as is true and certain), that one VM is using 25% of CPU (one core, core 0), and the other VM is using 50% (49%) of CPU (two cores, cores 2 and 3).

VMs were Ubuntu 7.10, now they are 8.04 with no difference, though.

GPUs are using core 3

wth install another vm and run 3 vm's and the cpu's on the last one :D

CW, what speed is your CPU, and how are you getting such nice PPD on those VMs?

Oh, IC, well for one, you're running Vista. You know, you can set affinity for both VMs to use 1/2 the cores cores while still leaving GPU2 alone. Vista is the holy grail for SMP/GPU2 folding. My Q6600 @3.2 Vista box has 2 VMs, set to 0,1 and 2,3 affinity with an 8800GS. All three FAH apps don't interfere with each other. But on my Q6600 Win2K3, I have to set both VMs to use 0,1,2, leaving core 3 to GPU2, otherwise the 8800GS PPD gets halved.

EDIT: I noticed the 25% and 50% in task manager too :)

CW, what speed is your CPU, and how are you getting such nice PPD on those VMs?

Oh, IC, well for one, you're running Vista. You know, you can set affinity for both VMs to use 1/2 the cores cores while still leaving GPU2 alone. Vista is the holy grail for SMP/GPU2 folding. My Q6600 @3.2 Vista box has 2 VMs, set to 0,1 and 2,3 affinity with an 8800GS. All three FAH apps don't interfere with each other. But on my Q6600 Win2K3, I have to set both VMs to use 0,1,2, leaving core 3 to GPU2, otherwise the 8800GS PPD gets halved.

EDIT: I noticed the 25% and 50% in task manager too :)

QX9650 at 4.15 right now, and it has more.

So you're saying VM on 0/1, VM on 2/3, and then set GPUs to use what? All 4?

Nice job on the quad.

Yes, VM #1 on 0/1, and Vm #2 on 2/3, both with priority low. Then leave GPU alone, with its affinity auto-set to 3. Vista handles the GPU process much better than XP/Win2K3. Not entirely sure about multi GPUs though.

I see you about to steamroll me in PPD production. Oh well having you off my threat list for a day was nice. ;)

Nice job on the quad.

Yes, VM #1 on 0/1, and Vm #2 on 2/3, both with priority low. Then leave GPU alone, with its affinity auto-set to 3. Vista handles the GPU process much better than XP/Win2K3. Not entirely sure about multi GPUs though.

No go. THe instant I tell anything to use core3 my PPD on GPU clients drops by 1/3.

I can still get around 5300PPD from the VMs if I tell VM1 to use 0/1/2 and VM2 to use 1/2

Back