• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SmoothWall - using D-Linki DGL-4500 on purple interface

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OSUmaxx

Hi everyone,

I've just setup SmoothWall and the green/red interfaces are great. I'm using V3 and want to setup the purple interface to hook to my old wireless router so I can use it as an access point.

I have the IP of the router set on the same subnet (but outside the DHCP range) of the smoothwall. The router is using DHCP to assign IP addresses, again, outside of the smoothwall DHCP server range.

The router shows an IP conflict in the logs saying the addressing of the Internet side learnt thru DHCP conflicts with the addressing selected for the LAN side. Internet communications will be disabled until I change the IP settings to resolve the problem.

I'm sure I'm overlooking something - anyone have some suggestions?

Thanks!

I've just setup SmoothWall and the green/red interfaces are great. I'm using V3 and want to setup the purple interface to hook to my old wireless router so I can use it as an access point.

I think the purple interface is only for wireless adapters directly connected to the router. You should be able to connect the router as a switch + access point to the green interface using a LAN port, and connect additional devices to it, or connect a switch first and then the router to that switch (again with a LAN port).

The router should have DHCP disabled and be assigned a static IP consistent with the rest of the internal network. An "Access Point" or "Internet Disabled" mode would be along the lines of what you need.

Thanks Madwand.

The reason to use purple is to segment the wireless network from the trusted wired network. I did some research and in general people do set it up that way. On the router, I did disable DHCP, assigned it a static IP on the same subnet as the purple interface (made sure not to duplicate). Now the laptop will pull the correct ip information, but DNS doesn't seem to be working. Would pointing it to the interface IP on the smoothwall be the proper DNS address? I.E. the same address that I point DHCP to?

Thanks!!!

so what is the address of your green side? and what is the ip address of the purple side? and what Ip did u set the purple to? Double check those as that is how i have mine set up. Something is not set correctly.

If memory serves me correctly:

Green: 192.168.69.1, DHCP .100-.200
Purple: 192.168.70.10, DHCP .100-.200
Router (turned into AP) 192.168.70.2

DNS on green (works): 192.168.69.1
DNS on purple: 192.168.70.10

I've enabled DHCP on both the green and purple interfaces. I know I'm doing something fundamentally wrong - thanks for the help!

FYI - I reset EVERYTHING and quickly started over... works now :) I must have missed something or done something odd the first time around. Thanks for all of your help. These SmoothWalls are pretty amazing.

Back