• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

When will any new i7 chipsets be available?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tachi1247

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about when a new chipset will be available for the i7 processors. I'm looking for a new build sometime in the next couple of months and I would like to get an i7 but I think that a $300 X58 mobo would be overkill for what I do.

I've read a little about the i5 due out later in 09 and from what I have seen I want to stick with i7 but I'm hoping that there will be some sort of P45 equivalent for the X58 chipset at a much more palatable price

Well this is rather disappointing to hear.

I've searched around a bit and I can't find anything about an upcoming nVidia chip for i7 either so that is not a good sign.

I can't believe Intel would really do this. I don't have any problem with the pricing of the chips, actually think it is great, but $300 motherboards are kind of ridiculous. I understand trying to push the higher end chips, but I think they would be able to sell a lot more processors if the overall build was more affordable. I understand that i7 is the basis for the upcoming mainstream processors, but it is still very expensive to produce a seperate processor and I can't see it being worthwhile unless they can sell a lot more processors which would be possible with a $100-150 motherboard.

From what i have seen, the most popular combination for the enthusiast today is either a wolfdale and P45 or a C2Q and a P45. I rarely see X48 motherboards in people signatures nor do they have a ton of reviews on the egg like you see for the popular P45 boards. Intel is catering to the top 2% of users (extremists) and leaving the next 10% of users (enthusiasts) in the dark. I would say that most people in this forum would fall into the enthusiast category and saying that we represent 10% of the market might be over estimating it. If this really continues then Intel is going to make a lot of their most vocal constituents very angry as I don't see the price of the chipsets falling nor do i see the budgets of most users expanding to include $300 mobos.

Obviously competition will help push prices lower for the consumer but I wouldn't expect it to be huge. If prices dropped 10% on day 1 that would only be $30. IMO Intel needs to have boards that cost 50% of the current price. That's not going to happen on the X58 chipset just from AMD releasing a new processor that may or may not compete with the i7. Everything I've seen has the Phenom II competing with Q9300-Q9550 processors. Yes AMD is going to do it at a cheaper price, but I expect C2Q prices to drop when Deneb is released as that is the main competition and it will help Intel differentiate i7 from the C2Q.

I agree completely that prices will drop a lot if PII is faster than a 4ghz i7. The free market would force Intel to since no one is going to pay double the price for a computer that is slower. My concern is that Deneb is only going to put up C2Q numbers at a lower price point. I'm not going to believe any of the AMD benchmarks until I see some independent testing. Of course AMD is going to release these bits and pieces of impressive numbers because their press release wouldn't be greeted with too much excitement if it read "AMD releases new processor that competes with last generation Intel architecture."

Don't get me wrong, I'm an AMD fan and hope that the new chip is overwhelmingly successful because I think the market needs the competition and INtel definitely needs someone to keep them in check. I am just worried that they have gotten so far behind in the last few years that PII is going to be about as significant as the original Phenom.

From what i have seen, the most popular combination for the enthusiast today is either a wolfdale and P45 or a C2Q and a P45. I rarely see X48 motherboards in people signatures nor do they have a ton of reviews on the egg like you see for the popular P45 boards. Intel is catering to the top 2% of users (extremists) and leaving the next 10% of users (enthusiasts) in the dark. I would say that most people in this forum would fall into the enthusiast category and saying that we represent 10% of the market might be over estimating it. If this really continues then Intel is going to make a lot of their most vocal constituents very angry as I don't see the price of the chipsets falling nor do i see the budgets of most users expanding to include $300 mobos.

that 2% will always cough up more money than your 10% hth

x58 wont be the "only" chipset out in the life of i7... just right now intel has no reason to release other chipsets as i7 is still young and plenty of people are still buying 775 based rigs.

Intel is catering to the server / workstation market with i7, hence why when it was first out is was behind in gaming, for once intel is aiming at the market it makes lots of money on, and why i7 is kicking arse in server's /high end work stations.

Is there any news if nVidia is likely to release a chipset soon to support i7?

Never going to happen. Intel won't give them the license. nVidia has given up their license for SLI, though, so you can get Intel boards that have both crossfire, and SLI support.

Best of both worlds IMO. So far nVidia based boards have been inferior to Intel's and the only reason to go nVidia was for SLI support.

If you're talking about competition...the high-end nVidia boards have always been expensive and so have the high-end Intel boards.

i7 is not a budget line-up. If you want budget stick w/ 775 or wait for i5.

Back