• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Silent power supply. Please help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sunburn74

Need a power supply thats dead quiet. Absolutely silent. Around 500 W with the standard connections. Please assist as I'm about to throw my current power supply through a window...

I've found that my Corsair 550VX is pretty darn quiet and it delivers good, stable power. And while not super cheap, it can generally be found for a reasonable price if you shop around. It comes with a 5 year warrantee too and uses Japanese caps inside.

Any good one with a 120mm fan and a fan selector switch. I run 2 of these one in my basement gamer and one on my htpc. The one in my htpc is like 2 years old with no problems. Very quiet on low, even pretty quiet on high.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article699-page1.html
Enermax Modu82+ > Corsairs = Seasonics > Antecs

They haven't gotten around to some of the newer PSUs out there - however, I would certainly expect the Enermax Modu85+ to also continue in the tradition ;p

I would not make a qualitative statement like that. It is misleading if there are no details. For example, the Antec Signature series units would sit on top of anything that is in the market today. Certainly right up there with Zippy. CWT built Corsair units are pretty good too. Very hard to pick between the Seasonic built units and the CWT built ones. As for Enermax they seem to test very well, but going by past record, reliability is a bit suspect. However, the Modulo82+ series does seem very good.

I would not make a qualitative statement like that. It is misleading if there are no details. For example, the Antec Signature series units would sit on top of anything that is in the market today. Certainly right up there with Zippy. CWT built Corsair units are pretty good too. Very hard to pick between the Seasonic built units and the CWT built ones. As for Enermax they seem to test very well, but going by past record, reliability is a bit suspect. However, the Modulo82+ series does seem very good.
Of course - I should have clarified that that listing was based off a quietest perspective, since SPCR is the only one around that provides measurements and samples of noise.

Need a power supply thats dead quiet. Absolutely silent. Around 500 W with the standard connections. Please assist as I'm about to throw my current power supply through a window...

Sunburn,

Let me reiterate the Corsairs because I have a couple of them. The only way I can tell they are on is because I see my monitor screen lit up. Mine are dead silent. Your CPU fan will make more noise. There are other top brands the same as Burebista mentioned and all are reasonably priced. If you list your hardware, it should be easy to recommend a few. The Corsair VX450 puts out what many "budget" 500 watt power supplies do.

Sunburn,

Let me reiterate the Corsairs because I have a couple of them. The only way I can tell they are on is because I see my monitor screen lit up. Mine are dead silent. Your CPU fan will make more noise. There are other top brands the same as Burebista mentioned and all are reasonably priced. If you list your hardware, it should be easy to recommend a few. The Corsair VX450 puts out what many "budget" 500 watt power supplies do.

I have a Corsair HX520 in my main system. Completely inaudible. I have a Seasonic M-II 430 sitting open on top of a desk with an E8400 system that I don't have a case for. You wouldn't know it was on except for the fan spinning.

Back