• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adaptive CPU speed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dusnoetos

I have an older IBM ThinkPad T30. And after about 2 months of HDD problems I finely broke down and bought a new Seagate Momentus 120GB drive. (Biggest HDD this laptop has ever tasted:p) But my question is not about that....

Since I have decided to scrap my last backup and do a 100% clean install I have found some updated versions of some utility programs that I have always used. One in particular is the "Battery MaxiMiser" program. It allows me to adjust many power related settings including the CPU Speed, One of the options is "Adaptive". In this setting the CPU speed adjusts on the fly depending on demand.

My question is this: if I use the Adaptive setting; will the constant changing speed of the CPU potentially harm the CPU? Or would I just be better off setting the CPU to a fixed speed based upon what I am doing?

The best settings to normally have are: Adaptive when on battery and Fixed performance when on AC (Mains power). And don't worry, neither setting will harm the CPU

Most intel chips now have "Speedstep" in some form or fashion, which essentially does just that, manipulates the clock speed of the CPU depending on what you are doing on the computer. It does this to save power, and the chip at this point is designed to do so, so no harm will come to the CPU by having it alternate clock speeds. AMD also has an equivalent. So no worries, CPUs are designed to do these things these days so no harm should come to it.

Back