• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about vdrop/vdroop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoodleGTS

Hey,

So when I get my CPU voltage at 1.4v in the BIOS, CPU-Z reads ~1.36v (not under load).

Which voltage do I go by? Right now my voltage is set to just about 1.43v in the BIOS and CPU-Z is telling me 1.4V.

Btw when volts decrease under load is that vdroop?

What you set in bios, if the bios manufacturer is following intel specs, is the maximum overshoot volts.

So if you set 1.4 in bios, actual volts will be lower say 1.36, which is Voffset or Vdrop. The decrease in volts upon load (from idle) is Vdroop... suppose Vdroop to 1.33 on load. That would basically mean your overshoot should be around .07v at load, such that overshoot goes to 1.4 (bios setting) from 1.33 (full load).

When you use loadline, and it reduces Vdroop and/or Vdrop, you just simply need to remember the overshoot should be ~same at the same settings. So if you had loadline enabled and were at 1.35 bios but still 1.33 load, your overshoot should still be .07v to 1.4, it is just that you no longer have bios setting = to max overshoot when loadline is enabled.

Back