• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I know what amps my PSU can provide?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foolios

I want to buy a new video card. I notice now that most video cards are indication the suggested minimum watts a psu has but also how many amps it can output.
I need help with figuring and/or finding this information on my psu.

The card requires 28A. Does this psu I have have enough in the right spot?

psu.jpg

It has 6 Amp ratings, which one do I use? Is it broken down from a total and I add them up?

Oh crap.

L&C = Deer

I wouldn't classify that as powersupply, and you'd be lucky to get 12A of 12v power from that piece of junk, upgrade that unit before it takes your whole system down, cheap powersupplies like that do no have overcurrent or overvoltage protection, the capacitors are of very cheap quality, and the wattage is very very exaggerated.

something like anything corsair should work :)

Replace that unit even if you don't buy a video card. Low end L&C/Deer is dangerous junk.

Thanks for the warning. I will do. Now I need to know how to find the right one.
Do I need to look at the +12V area and whatever the Amp rating is for that will tell me if I have enough of what I need for the video card?
What do I figure out when a psu has two 12V rails at 18A each? Will that provide 36A and meet the cards requirement of 28A?

Thanks for the replies.

Last edited:
You need to look on the specs for 'total 12V output'

you don't just add the two ratings together.

Thanks for the warning. I will do. Now I need to know how to find the right one.
Do I need to look at the +12V area and whatever the Amp rating is for that will tell me if I have enough of what I need for the video card?
What do I figure out when a psu has two 12V rails at 18A each? Will that provide 36A and meet the cards requirement of 28A?

Thanks for the replies.

Post all your hardware and we will see that you get what you need in a quality unit.

Back