• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fixing Guitar Hero Drums

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

laxatives

I was playing with the cymbals on the drum kit when I accidentally pulled the wires out of one of the plugs. I figured this was something I could easily solder back together, but I just ended up butchering the original plug, which looked like this

Now I'm left with just the exposed wires here and no plug

I think the plug is just a 1/8 plug like on most headphones. Is this something I can fix on my own with minimal soldering experience? Here are the tools I'm using:

Thanks

I'd say yes. Those 1/8" jacks are generally pretty tight quarters to solder in, so you might need to practice for a while as it can be frustrating...

Make sure you match the connector correctly - either "Tip/Sleeve" (or a "Mono 1/8") for a 2-conductor cable, or a "Tip/Ring/Sleeve" (TRS or "Stereo 1/8") for a 3-conductor cable. Yours appears to be a 2-conductor cable... The outer sheild goes to the Sleeve and the inner wire goes to the Tip.

Keep your tip clean, use descent solder, and work efficiently/quickly to avoid heat damage.

If you can not get it soldered, you should be able to "splice" into an existing 1/8" cable. You might loose some sheilding near the splice area, but I doubt it would affect anything since these are control pulses anyways (its not sending actual audio, just pulses to the brain).

Good luck!

:cool:

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys,

I ended up hacking apart an old microphone with a 1/8 jack:

and exposed the wires using an exacto knife;

the microphone jack had the same inner and outer wires and responded after a quick test so I went ahead and just spliced the wires together

Its a pretty temporary fix, but it works just fine. Eventually, I'll probably solder the wires together permanently and cover it with shrink tubing

Unfortunately, fixing this problem only led to more guitar hero related destruction

Again, thanks for all the help

damn - you guys really get into your guitar hero!!!

why not buy a real guitar, or be a real man and get a bass guitar

I was referring to my "real" band and my "real" kit, a Yamaha Birch Custom 6PC w/Nouveau lugs FTW! Or a Tama Artstar-II Maple 6PC if I want to get "wooly" :)

I've never even played Guitar Hero or Rock Band :p

I'd have to agree that a Bass is more masculine than a guitar (lol)

Last edited:
If it makes a difference, I do play the bass. My last project involved defretting an old squier p-bass

Yup - your intonation/fingering has to be dead-on when you don't have those frets making "corrections" (quantizations :p ) for you ;) Just ask Jaco!

I'll take a nice fretted American P-Bass any day.

Laxatives - did you replace the frets with "fret marker" wire? How did that work out?

I have the exact same problem. Is there a place that I can find the proper wiring to splice with the broken wire? I don't wanna hack away at 1/8 jacks until I find the right one. Or maybe you could tell me what kind of microphone you used so i could find it? Please Help!

Find a similar corded jack and hack it off with about 6 inches of wire hanging and then just splice in your wire using j-hooks and solder. That said, I play real guitar and can't play guitar hero to save my life. I can play Cannibal Corpse's Hammer Smashed Face note for note but let's see someone on guitar hero play that. Heh...

Happened to me too!

Hello, this same thing happened to me :(. But, on the Yellow plate. I'm really, really mad. I'm so dumb. My wire is just hanging lose all exposed with yellow/red/orangish wires hanging from the outside. The thing is I do not know how to solder and that sucks. So, do we just find the end of some headphones cut it off and just attach it to the lose wire and it'll just start working? someone help me please :(

Back