• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I get my e8400 to 3.6ghz on stock cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AegisXLII

I just ordered the parts for my first build, and I'm thinking ahead. I'm not an intense gamer but I'd like to be able to run Mass Effect, Fallout 3, Stalker, Witcher, and maybe a few other titles on high settings. I'm pretty sure my GPU can handle it but I may need to pull some more juice out of my e8400. Or maybe not, time will tell. But I'd like to do a little OCing and learn more about computers in the process.

So that's the backstory. I'm planning on trying to get my e8400 to 3.6ghz. I've heard I can do this on stock cooling - any thoughts one way or the other? I'm also getting an Antec 900 case, which is loaded to the gills with fans.

If the answer turns out to be no, that's a bad idea, I'm thinking about extra fans. So far I'm leaning towards an Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro, because it's cheap (I'm on a budget) and reviews indicate it gets the job done for non-intensive projects.

Thoughts appreciated.

I think that you should be able to but I personally wouldn't overclock on a stock cooler though. You could get a decent cooler for about $30-$40.

LIkely yes... depends on the temperatures... Keep her under 65C, P95 Small FFT load and you will be fine with every other thing you do.

First, I don't suggest overclocking an e8400 on stock cooling unless you do it with very minimal additional vcore. The new Intel stock coolers are incredibly lame. The ones the 45nm chips come with are way less efficient than the ones the older 65nm processors shipped with.

Secondly, games are so gpu dependent these days that you're unlikely to see any real difference between 3.0GHz and 3.6GHz. This is especially true on a budget build where you don't have a top-of-the-line video card. An e8400 at stock speeds will run all of those games you listed without breaking a sweat, assuming your gpu is up to the challenge.

So in short, I don't suggest you push your cpu unless you get aftermarket cooling. There's just not much to gain other than increased temps.

DOuble... to me it doesnt matter as long as his temps are under control. If his temps are OK, why not?

Because temps can easily get out of control with the cheapo factory sinks ;) The new ones are literally half the size of the old ones. When I first saw a new one, I was like "OMG! Can this thing even cool the cpu at stock speeds?!?"

I just wouldn't tempt fate.

The point is to check first...if his temps are under control, why not? You are not 'tempting fate' if you monitor your load temps.

I'm thinking long term. Temps might be fine initially, but eventually they won't be monitored closely anymore. As time goes by, the stock cooler will lose efficiency as dust collects between the fins.

It just isn't a good idea to overclock much, if at all, on those incredibly cheapo 45nm stock coolers. I say either spend a little money and get a real cooler, or leave it at stock. This is especially true if the goal is additional speed in games, where going from 3.0 to 3.6 isn't going to make a difference anyway.

Also think too DJack, that NOTHING he does unless he F@H or something of the like will never get temps up to what P95 Small FFT do. From my experience, gaming, burning, encoding, etc are always about 10C less than P95. So he already has that leeway you are talking about for dust.

Without a doubt, an aftermarket cooler such as that Xigmatek would be best, you are correct. But to say not to overclock on the stock cooler as a blanket statement isnt the most accurate. :)

That's a good point. There aren't many activities that will push temps to the max. But still, those stock coolers are just so small.

No denying that my friend. But he can still get something out of it so long as his temps are kept in check. :)

Can you OC on a stock cooler? Yes. Should you OC on a stock cooler? No. It's just that simple.
As long as temps are ok, why shouldnt you? No harm will come to the system. I dont get the apprehension on this "Overclocking" forum... :shrug:

Im sorry to appear so argumentative, that is not my point. I guess Im just particular about the semantics of it all. See to me, there is no reason why he SHOULDNT overclock on a stock cooler so long as his temps are in order.

Last edited:
It's because the stock cooler doesn't really have any margin for safety. It is meant to cool the cpu at stock voltage and speeds, nothing more.

Let me put it this way - not only do I think it is a bad idea to OC a 45nm cpu with stock cooling, but I also wouldn't use a 45nm stock cooler on something like an e6300 even if the e6300 isn't overclocked. Intel went really cheap on those 45nm heat sinks.

One thing I would recommend is undervolting your CPU.
My 8400 E0 needed 1.1V to run 390x9 more or less stable.
Thus you nearly eliminate the overheating problem.
If you enable the multiplier 9-6 drop, temps might constantly jump from 30 idle to 50C under load, which I don't like -- undervolting might lower the temp difference.

For me the undervolting process took more effort than overclocking, stable voltage might take some time to find.

Good luck.

It's because the stock cooler doesn't really have any margin for safety. It is meant to cool the cpu at stock voltage and speeds, nothing more.

Let me put it this way - not only do I think it is a bad idea to OC a 45nm cpu with stock cooling, but I also wouldn't use a 45nm stock cooler on something like an e6300 even if the e6300 isn't overclocked. Intel went really cheap on those 45nm heat sinks.

Jack,

I'm about to assemble an E8500 (EO) on a DFI P45 board, waiting for my case to arrive today. My first observation is the same as everyone else's here: The stock cooler leaves much to be desired for sure.

I plan to overclock mildly, perhaps 10 - 15% (3.4 - 3.6 max with some Gskill 1066 RAMS). What's a decent replacement cooler? I don't want a monster hanging on the CPU, just something a little better than stock. Coming from AMD after a few years leaves me much to learn with the new Intels. I see high temps recommended not to go over 65C which is about what this Opteron recommends. I never got near that high anyhow but I am also an advocate of not exceeding recommended vcore (for my personal purposes). From the posts here, it looks like small overclocks won't be a problem at suggested Intel default vcore limits. I'll find out on stock what I have soon enough.

Last edited:
Jack,

I'm about to assemble an E8500 (EO) on a DFI P45 board, waiting for my case to arrive today. My first observation is the same as everyone else's here: The stock cooler leaves much to be desired for sure.

I plan to overclock mildly, perhaps 10 - 15% (3.4 - 3.6 max with some Gskill 1066 RAMS). What's a decent replacement cooler? I don't want a monster hanging on the CPU, just something a little better than stock. Coming from AMD after a few years leaves me much to learn with the new Intels. I see high temps recommended not to go over 65C which is about what this Opteron recommends. I never got near that high anyhow but I am also an advocate of not exceeding recommended vcore (for my personal purposes). From the posts here, it looks like small overclocks won't be a problem at suggested Intel default vcore limits. I'll find out on stock what I have soon enough.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

Should be fine ;)

Because temps can easily get out of control with the cheapo factory sinks ;) The new ones are literally half the size of the old ones. When I first saw a new one, I was like "OMG! Can this thing even cool the cpu at stock speeds?!?"

I just wouldn't tempt fate.

Yeah the new fans are a joke. I just threw my E6400 cooler on until I can get the 8400 under water.

3.24ghz is fine though. I'm hitting between 25-35c (depending on whether you believe Coretemp or my motherboard.) Stock volts of course.

i am running me e8400 on stock cooling at 3.6ghz and it runs at 39 all day long.... i think the temp sensors are stuck which means it 'could' be less, whos knows the answer to ur question tho is if it is an E0 then you can run it at 3.6 all day long no questions asked on stock cooling.

Wow, thanks for all the advice and discussion. I'll try to incorporate all of your thoughts. My current gameplan is to first run it at stock speeds, make sure it's running smooth and see how it does with the games. I'll check the temps when running that small fft at stock and see how it holds up. I'll then see if I can't work it up to 3.6 and check again. If the temps are still in a safe range, I'll probably leave it as is. I suspect it won't be a problem considering Albyno's empirical data and what I've heard other places, plus my Antec 900 case. But if it's not, I'll pick up that Arctic Cooler and go from there. Or I might get it anyway, just for the practice with after market coolers. And considering I've already dumped a chunk of change on this rig, it's probably a better idea to play it safe.

One question, once you get the stock cooler on, is it hard to get off?

Back