• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can i mix 1gb ram sticks with 2 gb sticks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

J-honson

so i bought corsair dominator 2x2gb sticks =4gb (pc2-8500 1066 mhz)

then i bought 2x1gb=2gb (pc2-8500 1066 also)

can i stick these new ones inside with my original ram and get a total of 6 gigs?

Will this make my computer any faster or slower?

do i have to set them the same timing ratio?

It would make your computer faster, I do beleive aslong as the same amount of memory is on each channel you will be able to run dual channel still, but there is a possiblity that your motherboard will not play well with both the sets of sticks, you will have to up your NB voltage if your system doesnt boot or is instable.

also i have another question, before i put my new ram sticks in, should i have to set my old ram back to standard timing (i set it to 5-5-5-15 instead of 5-5-5-18), then after i have all 4 in, i can OC them 2gether

It would make your computer faster, I do beleive aslong as the same amount of memory is on each channel you will be able to run dual channel still, but there is a possiblity that your motherboard will not play well with both the sets of sticks, you will have to up your NB voltage if your system doesnt boot or is instable.

u say same amount of memory on each channel. There are 4 channels i believe on mine... but my ram sticks are as follows: 2gb 2gb 1 gb 1gb, will this not work?

also i have another question, before i put my new ram sticks in, should i have to set my old ram back to standard timing (i set it to 5-5-5-15 instead of 5-5-5-18), then after i have all 4 in, i can OC them 2gether
The sticks should be able to run 5-5-5-15 no problem.

u say same amount of memory on each channel. There are 4 channels i believe on mine... but my ram sticks are as follows: 2gb 2gb 1 gb 1gb, will this not work?
The stick should be in this order when you install them. 2GB | 1GB | 2GB | 1GB. That way each set is running dual channel. Your slots should be color coded to represent the setup.

ahhh ok thanks so much, that was the answer i was lookin for

The sticks should be able to run 5-5-5-15 no problem.

The stick should be in this order when you install them. 2GB | 1GB | 2GB | 1GB. That way each set is running dual channel. Your slots should be color coded to represent the setup.

Just to let you know, anything over 4GB of ram is pointless, I looked into it because i was planning on getting 8 GB, but ended up getting 4. Applications dont need that much ram memory.

Just to let you know, anything over 4GB of ram is pointless, I looked into it because i was planning on getting 8 GB, but ended up getting 4. Applications dont need that much ram memory.

It depends what your doing, I open files bigger then 2GB in photoshop, add photoshop + the operating system to that and your over 4GB of ram. If I had anything less then 8gb that would slow my PC down.

Yeah, totally depends on what you are using your computer for. I run 8gb ram and I like having the headroom.

Back