• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling a i7 965

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Badbonji

I have this setup coming:

Core i7 965 - already recieved :)
6Gb G.skill pc3 12800 1600mhz
Gigabyte Extreme X58

I want to know whether I can get a CPU waterblock compatible with the Core i7 and the Thermaltake BigWater 745 kit (https://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?TT-BIGW745).

I also want to know if it will be good enough, it will only be cooling the CPU btw.

If not, what would you recommend? (I could always try the block with the kit first, if it is too hot then change the pump / rads for it).

I want to order A.S.A.P. , as my motherboard and Memory should arrive Friday :bday:

I was just wondering as it is a shame to waste because it performed quite well for its price. I guess testing will be the best option, but I can always upgrade if I had to I just didn't want to spend more than I needed to.

So you already have it then? That is different.

Still, thermaltake's insistence on using small diameter tubing is what keeps me away from them. There is simply no good reason for them to basically choke a pump. You might as well spit on your CPU to cool it.

Trying to cool a 965 with this is going to be like trying to extinguish a bonfire by peeing on it.

Last edited:
Some TT rads have full copper pipes. But they are tubes, poor heat transfer. It's also is series, not like better rads with the 'tanks' on each end and many parellel tubes. It's not efficient enough to be worth owning, not mentioning the poor heat transfer of the CPU block and crappy pump.

I have had no problems with their kits, I guess I will just try it with a new CPU block and if I am not happy with it I will just upgrade the kit :p

I have had no problems with their kits, I guess I will just try it with a new CPU block and if I am not happy with it I will just upgrade the kit :p

That's a lot of $$ to spend just to have to probably upgrade it, which isn't gonna be easy, or cheap. A decent Swiftech kit for the CPU only is about the same price, is easily upgradeable, and DEFINITELY better, not to mention it's all copper so you won't have to worry about corrosion. Since it's all copper, you'll be able to run $2/gallon distilled water and PT Nuke or silver insert and that's it. That translates into even more savings over time when you drain/refill your system. In the end, it's your choice but smart money would say go with a better system.

Axis

axis, I believe that Badbonji is from the UK, where Swiftech parts are harder to find and more expensive than what we see. But Thermochill rads can be had for decent prices there, which is a very good route to go too.

Badbonji, if you already own that BW kit then I guess you could try it out and see how it works with a GTZ block. But if you don't already own the kit, please don't waste your money and instead build yourself a proper loop with a good rad and pump. It might be a little more expensive now, but it will save you money down the road. Thermochill rads are made in the UK and are a top choice for cooling and I remember seeing them earlier this year priced pretty decently in a UK based online vendor's site.

I already have the kit, and all of my parts will be here within a few hours. I won't be assembling it until Sunday or Monday, as I want to run benchmarks on the old system for comparison and have work over the weekend :(

Question: It says the NB on my Gigabyte Extreme is a "hybrid", do I need to use water cooling to cool it as well as the huge heatsink or would I be able to use it without. What would you guys recommend? I haven't opened the box to check or read the manual, it only just arrived 10-15 minutes ago.

I have enough money to upgrade if need be, I just don't want to waste it on a whole new kit if the one I have will suffice, as most people use water kits for their whole system with GPU / NB etc, whereas I am only cooling the CPU (possibly the NB too not sure yet).

Back