• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E7300 stuck at 9x multi and only 400FSB? :p

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chinky714

hey guys, I've been a member for quite some time but haven't really been active. I use to have an E6300 with P965 board but gave it to my dad and have been using my laptop for the past 3 years. Now my laptop is dying on me so I got myself an E7300 and a Gigabyte EP43-DS3L motherboard. I am having trouble passing 3.6GHz :confused: for some reason the 9x multi is the only thing that works. If i use 9.5x orthos fails within minutes, if i use 10x at 350 FSB orthos fails within an hour. This is all on 1.34V. I've been able to use 400 FSB at 9x multi fine, but if i raise any higher than 400 the system either doesn't load windows or just restarts right after posting. Here are my specs if it helps:

CPU: E7300
Motherboard: Gigabyte EP43-DS3L
RAM: OCZ Reaper HPC PC2-6400 4GB 2x2 CL4-4-4-12 at 1.9V
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 watt 12v 49A
Cooling: OCZ Vanquisher <-- got this baby for free
Video Card Sapphire Radeon 4850

Im using Bios F8 from gigabyte Do you think I should try upgrading bios first and see how that goes? So far the only thing i've set in M.I.T. is the CPU vcore and the ram vcore.

First Of all , update bios to the latest one.
Second, you must understand , not any cpu is an OC King ... so don't always look on other
ppl results, and believe that this is the same cpu like yours ...
Last thing is trying to raise the voltage a little bit higher, and of course check temps ,
if the heatsink is mounted well , and everything is allright ...

Good Luck !

hey there, thanks for the reply. I did look to see if an update in bios was available. Sadly there isn't F8 seems to be the latest bios for my board. Yeah i know im not trying to reach 4.5GHz, but I would like to hit as high as possible. I just dont' know what is causing my cpu to be stuck at 9x multi for oc, and at a 400FSB wall. I tried raising it to 413 and it caused errors in hard drive and not load windows. I guess I am stuck at 3.6Ghz, maybe i should throw in the E7200 I have and try to play with that. I am satisfied with the results. My temp is at 61 Load and about 33 Idle according to coretemp v.99 I will probably reapply thermal paste later on once i pick up some artic silver 5. Im still using the thermal paste that came with the heatsink. I think i should add some intake fans to my case as well, I have an Antec Three Hundred and haven't added any intake fans yet. So far only the 2 fans that come with the case is running. Anyways thanks for the input!

Check the RAM clock speed. The motherboard is supposed to be smart enough to make sure your RAM rans within spec for what ever FSB you set, but this isn't always the case.
Somtimes it gets it wrong. Force the RAM to run in spec, and you should find the wall goes away.

Check the RAM clock speed. The motherboard is supposed to be smart enough to make sure your RAM rans within spec for what ever FSB you set, but this isn't always the case.
Somtimes it gets it wrong. Force the RAM to run in spec, and you should find the wall goes away.

thanks for the tip, i'll try that tonight. BTW what do you mean run in spec? as in run at 800FSB? In bios for the ram multiplier speed setting it gives me 4 options x.xxA = 200MHz, x.xxB=266MHz, x.xxC=333MHz, and finally x.xxD= 400MHz for "MCH speed", currently i have it set at 2.00D so my ram is running at 800MHz when my CPU FSB is at 400.

Back