• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8650 X3 benchmarks wanted on AM2 board for HD Playback?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OBLIVIONLORD

If anyone has this tri-chip or any of the other tri's as well as a 690g chipset and is willing to do some HD Playback (1080p) benchmarks on their AM2 board while using OnBoard video then I would love to see them. I can't find any site that has anything close to this. I know this is asking for alot but I am wanting to install a tri in my m2a-vm just to see how it will do alone without a videocard.

Thanks

You can use MPC while using FFdshow and log the Frame per Second or you can just tell me the cpu usage with whatever 1080p video your using while its running in Max window.

If you give me a tri-core I'll test with it :D.

I got 2 690g boards (well, one 740g which is a 690g and an SB700 so for some reason it required a new name...anyway), but n o tri core. I'll see what I can swing, though. Might as well get a tricore if i can find one cheap.

Do you have a phenom to test with?

Im running a 4600x2 in my htpc with the 690g/sb700 and it runs bad on anything 1080p. I know a phenom will do well however on Newegg the 8650x3 is $100 shipped.

i'm not sure its you processor giving you trouble, most of my HD files are at a fixed framerate and if theres an error in them it'll cause some crappyness.
i havent found a 690g with a sb700 chipset and i remember that the 690 wasnt very HD friendly to begin with. sure it advertises that its HDCP compatable but the function can be there but when there isnt enough umpf behind it its gonna suck.

why dont you try a cheap videocard first, its going to perform better than the onboard chip and you'd basicly have a dedicated card (processor ram ect) just for HD playback.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...escription=&Ntk=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=
any video card is going to be better than onboard video for HD playback, even if its cheap.
i have a 8500gt with DDR3 instead of DDR2 and it does very well with this sort of thing, i dont how ever had a tv tuner to test that over

I had a 8600gt connected to it and it ran much better than using the onboard video even when it wasnt helping with HD decoding since the video has buffers in it outside of what it can decode in itself. However I dont want to use the videocard as a means to decode the video because every effort that I've used to have the video decode always had some drawback to it being tearing or certain jitters.

The tearing can be fixed with the Home Cinema version of MPC but you lose out on fullscreen menus which really is a pain to go back and forth without a keyboard. I dislike using PowerDVD and am glad I can conjunct its ability with MPC.

Using a fast processor has always came up with the least headache of all. This Q9550 I have is the absolute best in every aspect. No need for a specific videocard and it's ability to decode with possible tearing or jitters. It plays everything perfectly and with the help of CoreAVC it works even that much better. CoreAVC doesnt decode WM Vc-1 though which no videocard does either. That's another reason to get a faster processor.

My 4600x2 will decode WMV 1080p and some h.264 1080p except for VC-1 videos which it really bogs down on. Also the issue of how much video is being decodes and sent through the buss stresses the cpu as well. I use my receiver to decode the audio.

I would really like to just see performance with a Tri by itself with no videocard decoding help. That's all that's happening with my q9550 and gtx260 combo. Im running FFdshow with CoreAVC through MPC (not Home Cinema). It all runs perfectly.

Back