• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Houston do we have a problem? Or a benifit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My thoughts are...if we know nV, in which we do, that thing will be like 900$, definitely not competing with a 4870x2...BUT WAIT THOUGH ITS FASTER BLAH BLAH BLAH...yeah...those 3 more fps are definitely worth 400$. If it hits with a reasonable price i'll be impressed.

Depending on the performance gap vs. price of a 4870x2, it may not be worth it.

IMO its a re-hash dual-pcb stop-gap card like the rest of the previous nVidia GX2 series cards. Not worth the money when their new products are coming out shortly.

Will they please slow down the release of new cards. My wallet is broken and won't give out any more cash.

At this time last year I got an 8800gt, and thought that was the sh*t. Now I have dual 4870s, and am dreading the eventuality that they'll be ancient in only a few months.

Another article said the MSRP would be 500... so that will be good to drive down prices! Especially for the revision ATI is coming out with to beat the 295

This can only be good. I heard MSRP of $500 as well. You can expect "newest and fastest card out there price gouging" at first. I expect by the end of januray or so, that the price for both will drop.

Ouch, that really shows how biased Crysis/Warhead is. I just ran the same benchmark on my rig, Ambush at 1680x1050 and 2x AA, Gamer setting. It was on DX9 and using my max GPU OC profile (in sig). Gave me 39 fps avg. So I'm getting the same fps as a 4870X2 on the same settings except in DX9 and OC'd, with my single GPU card... that's plain ridiculous. I'll never consider anything on the Crytek2 engine a fair comparison between ATI and Nvidia.

But in actual gameplay I don't use AA, since it's a huge performance hit with not nearly as much of a visual gain as every other game gets when AA is turned on. 48 fps on same test with no AA.

IMO its a re-hash dual-pcb stop-gap card like the rest of the previous nVidia GX2 series cards. Not worth the money when their new products are coming out shortly.

+1 The GX2 cards are always like that. If they were serious about them they'd release it at the beginning of a product cycle and keep it around permanently, not just for minor tweak refreshes and then abandon it when the really updated GPU comes out.

I'm not terribly impressed. I believe they used the gtx260 cores? If they had gone with the 280s...I would have been more impressed. I've owed the GTX280, gtx280 sli, and the 4870x2...so I'm not exactly a ATI fan boy either ;) But I'm thinking a pair of 280s since they have dropped a pretty decent bit, or a 4870x2 would be preferable, to me anyway.

Still need to see more reviews before making a final judgement.

I'm not terribly impressed. I believe they used the gtx260 cores? If they had gone with the 280s...I would have been more impressed. I've owed the GTX280, gtx280 sli, and the 4870x2...so I'm not exactly a ATI fan boy either ;) But I'm thinking a pair of 280s since they have dropped a pretty decent bit, or a 4870x2 would be preferable, to me anyway.

Still need to see more reviews before making a final judgement.

they are 280 cores on 260 pcb/memory setup.

The benchmarks from Guru3d are a load of rubbish. Just look how Crysis scales in Crossfire according to them... I've put together enough 4850 Crossfire rigs to know those figures are complete and utter rubbish. I'm fed up of reading reviews where they are in the pockets of Nvidia.

The benchmarks from Guru3d are a load of rubbish. Just look how Crysis scales in Crossfire according to them... I've put together enough 4850 Crossfire rigs to know those figures are complete and utter rubbish. I'm fed up of reading reviews where they are in the pockets of Nvidia.

+1, only two words came to mind when reading that article: paid advertisement. :screwy:

+1, only two words came to mind when reading that article: paid advertisement. :screwy:

that's just BS then. this seems to be a better preview:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-295,2107.html
the cards in crysis only have about 6 fps difference 1900x1200, No AA/AF dx10, 64 bit.

and 1fps difference with 4xAA and the above settings.

but i have to say, high end nVidia cards are looking sleeker. i'm starting to dislike the rounded 4870/4870X2 cooler designs. makes the card look too long.

Back