• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

would you rather play a game

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BackBreaker

Disabled
with great graphics and enjoyment of scenery but that dips to 20-25 fps sometimes, or play it with no aa and/or lower settings at higher fps?

My vote is for "no aa and/or lower settings at higher fps" Can't stand a game that stutters, maybe thats just me.

+1 for above. I would rather turn settings down then be hindered at a "crucial" moment. Most of the dips happen when action is most intense.

but what if it only becomes noticeable in heavy firefights with lots of firing and players, and doesnt really stutter and the game plays hardly noticeable unless you reach below 20 fps? Im tlaking about team fortress 2 here cause I have this dilema with it.

For me it has to be the pretties...but no lower than 20fps...usually 30+ if possible.

I love the pretties, but if I don't have AT LEAST 30 FPS, it hurts my eyes and gives me a headache. And really, the FPS need to be higher than that. At least 40+ to keep my eyes from hurting.

usually I will max out the settings, see how pretty the game is, and then lower them to get good performance while still having decent enough visuals.

But since I play at a low resolution (because of my display I have to play at 1024x768) I can max out pretty much any game. Although I couldn't with GTA4.

+ 1 for eye candy.
i always used to have a crap PC and i got used to putting my settings higher and playing at 25 FPS, i got used to it, and i didnt mind. This is especially true with FEAR, on a GF 61250 SE LOL.

But now i got a new PC and i cant get enough of it, so yeah. Just do what ur happy with

man. i'd say it's different for different games.
FPS and fast paces games, i try to stay around 50-60 fps. most games can handle this maxed out anyway. (haven't tried any Crysis games yet though). Far Cry 2, i have to play Medium/high with dx9 to get 50-60.

on the other hand, my car games. i reckon it's bearable to run them at 30-ish. prostreet runs around 80 fps maxed out, which is good as, but Undercover runs at 25-ish maxed out, so i have to dim down some settings.

all in all, i like my games at 60+. even though playing car games at 30 ish is good, when you play it at 60+, things move so much faster.
(this happened when i went from low graphics on 7600GT @25fps to max graphics on 4850 at 80fps. huuuuuuge diff. cars are way faster.

Really depends on the game, but ultimately I will tend to sacrifice some visuals in the name of framerate. And if the game is awesome enough (Fallout 3), I'll actually upgrade so that I don't have to. :p

I have to think that some of the graphical appeal of the HalfLife2 engine is the fact that it can run decently on most setups, and can run flawlessly on max settings on probably everyone's system posting here.

Put me in the "mediocre graphics, but awesome gameplay and good framerates" camp as well.

I turn graphics down and play at lower resolutions when it comes to multiplayer. It give you a big advantage to run a game at 100 fps rather than 20 fps when it comes to online play. Id skip the eye candy then just to have the better score. Single player though ill put the graphics as high as i can get em to go :)

I turn graphics down and play at lower resolutions when it comes to multiplayer. It give you a big advantage to run a game at 100 fps rather than 20 fps when it comes to online play. Id skip the eye candy then just to have the better score. Single player though ill put the graphics as high as i can get em to go :)

Per curiosity, do you have anLCD or a CRT? I've tried lowering the res to less-than-native on my LCD, and the results were, to put it gingerly, unpleasant. Distorted to the point that my score went down despite the fact that I went from 40FPS constant to 80FPS constant in something like STALKER or COD4.

I can stand frame rates into the mid 20s, but lower than that the game becomes tedious. I try to go for a balance between fps and graphics, but Fallout3 ravages my system no matter what setting. It's about time i upgraded.

I will always trade eye candy in favor of fps, at least until I get a minimum of 30+ frames during heavy action.

Part of that could be age related, though. When I first started playing games, many of the most popular ones had no graphics at all... they were pure text. The ones that did have graphics, well, they were nothing to write home about. Needless to say I still consider the original Doom to be a great looking game, so turning down the eye candy on modern games isn't an issue for me.

I try to keep between 30 and 60. If i drop below 30 at any point in a game i'm playing i turn settings down. Depends on what type of game i'm playing also. When i play cod4 or counter strike i usually run scripts and cut out as much as possible (keeping it cal legal of course) to get steady 100 fps or higher if possible.

Game like left 4 dead i play for fun and not so comp. about it. So dropping to the 30's during insane horde's of zombies is ok by me.
Also i usually game at 800x600 on all shooters i play. Don't ask why it's just a res my eyes are comfortable with playing shooters.
As for rpgs tho i'll turn up the res as high as i can get it.

If I don't have above 40 fps then I'll drop the visuals down. I like having 60 fps. Even though the computer in my sig was fried in a thunderstorm my backup rig isn't exactly a slouch either. With a 320mb 8800 gts I usually have to put a few settings on medium, but I never have to put anything on low.

It depends on the game, some look just fine at 25fps...but in reality I dont have to make that choice! :beer: :santa:

I dont play many games, but Ive been playing L4D alot. WHEN I drop down to 60fps, I feel it and dont like it (but thats rare).

I tried playing on my brothers computer where he dips to 25 fps and its HORRIBLE. He maxes at like 60 fps and I cant stand it.

Definately smoothness over graphics for FPS.

My standards for FPS are much higher than normal I guess. If I had to play with 30-35 fps I would gag. I would turn down the graphics so I could enjoy the game at normal playing speed without hiccups or stutters.

It really depends on the game for me. I don't seem to have the high standards for frame rate as many here. I don't base graphics settings on FPS but how the game feels. I've played games the hit down around 25-30 but still feel playable and i've played some that feel unplayable even at 40-50. The one thing I can't live without usually is at least 2x AA, I hate jagged edges.

Back