• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a small server - need some help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lightning[983]

Hello,

Well i didn't know how to actually call this computer i'd like to build :)
I need a computer that would run 24/7.

Now here's the parts i had in mind:

Gigabyte G31M-S2L, iG31 integrated VGA, mATX
Celeron E1200BOX
G.SKILL Standard Series, 800MHz
PSU - Fortron 350W
SAMSUNG F1 250GB, 8MB

The purpose of the computer would be to some light work in a few of the programs i use, maybe download...

I only plan on hooking up a DVD-drive when installing the os, and have some old case laying arround i'll put it together in.

So basically are the parts i'm gonna use OK? I was thinking WinXP, but will i be able to share files over the LAN with my Vista x64 main computer?

Also if i download something will moving the files over LAN be very slow? i have a gigabit switch at home...

Will the 350W PSU be enough, because if anything i'll downclock the system not OC it :) i want this to use the least amount of power possibile, but still be able to do something.

Any advice is very welcome, since i never actually built a computer like this :) only ones i OC like crazy

Oh and i almost forgot, i don't plan on having a special monitor for it, so can i just hook it up to my Samsung's analogue connector and just switch inputs when i need to check up on the system?

Thanx,
Tom.

So basically are the parts i'm gonna use OK? Yes, it should be fine for a small server build

I was thinking WinXP, but will i be able to share files over the LAN with my Vista x64 main computer? Yes, from my experience it works, but I'm not sure it will for everyone

Also if i download something will moving the files over LAN be very slow? i have a gigabit switch at home... It all depends on your bandwidth. Usually, you wont see much of a slowdown

Will the 350W PSU be enough, because if anything i'll downclock the system not OC it :) i want this to use the least amount of power possibile, but still be able to do something. This PSU is more than enough. I've run something with similar specs with a 100w PSU

Any advice is very welcome, since i never actually built a computer like this :) only ones i OC like crazy

Oh and i almost forgot, i don't plan on having a special monitor for it, so can i just hook it up to my Samsung's analogue connector and just switch inputs when i need to check up on the system? Yes, this works just fine

Thanx,
Tom.

Thanks for the reply...

i was just thinking if its worth paying more for a G35 chipset, or anything that has IHC9... don't really know what's the difference :) is there any Gxx board that supports RAID1?

So to be 100% sure i can share files i'd better install Vista x64?

Back