• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2x 75 gig Raptor or 1x 300 gig VelociRaptor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

killem2

After tax time comes around I usually spend a little on myself and upgrade my pc a bit. I current have a less than exciting 7200 sata drive, and I want more speed, I want faster restarts, boot up times, and I want wow to load up faster as well.

I don't do a lot of anything except maybe the occasional fall out 3, or what ever fps I might want to try, but mostly I play wow and that's it.

the price on newegg is:

219. 00 two x75 gigs

229.00 w/ 30 MIR = 200.00 - 1x 300gig

How much speed difference is there really going to be between these for what I am doing.

This is what my 74gb x 2 Raptors can do on my RAID-0 setup.

HDTachRaptors.jpg

RaptorsRaid-0Stock.jpg

RaptorsRaid-0Stock-2.jpg

Thats old tech (the 74gb raptors). BUT for faster application/game/reboots, RAID0 is going to beat just about anything out there.

I would look into the WD 320gb/640gb drives with 32mb cache and raid those.

Last edited:
Except for the fact the WD 320s are going to have 10-12ms seek times, and thats where the real advantage is on the Raptors, not the MB / Sec.

As long as you're just using a single drive, the V. Raptor is probably the best bet, but beware the compability problems between the V. Raptors and the ICHxR chipsets.

Except for the fact that he wants quick LOAD times for apps and reboots, so the seek (which is 8.9ms IIRC) doesnt really matter...

killem2 said:
I want faster restarts, boot up times, and I want wow to load up faster as well.

2 of those in RAID0 are faster than that Vraptor for his needs. Please dont hesistate to correct me if I am wrong though. :)

Seektime matters most with small files (such as all the stuff you need to load on boot up), small files for games etc.

About the only time that MB / Sec matters at all is when dealing with large sequental file transfers (like, say, editing a 4GB AVI or something).

For what its worth, my 2 5 year old 36GB raptors, sliced down with Matrix RAID give a better user experience than my buds 4 Drive 640GB AAKS Raid array. The Raptors only have apx 100MB / Sec transfer while the 640s are over 3 times that. The difference? Seek on the 36GB raptors is running about 6.5ms vs 12ms on his array.

I suspect someone here can provide concrete numbers if you need them.

Hmmm, I see.....interesting...

I own a RaptorX, I own two SE16 WD drives that used to be in RAID0. By far, the RAID0 loaded a fresh install (boot is what I mean) of windows faster.

I'll run a test tonight. I can Raid 0 2x 0 AAKS blues vs 2x 36GB raptors on fresh builds of Vista Ultimate. Will stop watch the boot sequence to see which is in the desktop faster.

RAID vs raid Im not talking about. Single drive (raptor) vs RAID0 non raptors are what Im talking about.

Your mileage may vary, Im telling you my experience though. Also to note, OS and game loads are mostly sequential files where seek doesnt play as big of a role though. Especially in fresh installs.

I should clarify a little for you guys, what the ultimate selling point is.

2x speed difference over 1 drive vs the massive storage I also get with the 300 gig.

A single V Raptor gets around 100 MB / Sec. The 2x 74GB Raptors above got about the same speed (slightly more) at a probably slower seek. 3x 640GB drives would provide more storage (not a priority for you it seems) higher STR (debatably better) but with a slower seek (bad).

I think I'd go with the VRaptor myself. Similar performance, Similar price, More space, and only uses 1 SATA port instead of 2.

yeah id likely go with the v raptor as well, its the perfect mix between speed and decent storage. and this way eventually you can get another and raid them :)

So these 32 mb drives that are 640 gigs, they interest me :) Please advise me on what you think about them. Because if they are 7200 rpms, and I raid two of those :D is that an even better speed/price?

Just curious

Take the 300GB dude, less noise, less cabling, less stuff in the computer.

Just my philosophy on life I guess, I like the things I owned to be of very high quality and typically quite simple. RAID adds to the complexity of a computer.

Back