• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what tool????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

castor

Registered
i got a dremel, and I want to do a window mod, but what is the best tool to do it with, a certain bit???thnks

I actually have the Craftsman version...but there should be some sort of cutting wheel and attachment which should be exactly what you need

You should use the reinforced cut off wheels they have skinny wires or something running through them to reinforce them thats what I used to cut my window

drdingo21 said:
use a fiberglass reinforced cutting wheel

those will work the best, i heard of useing mini diamon wheels too, but those are rather costly..
also be sure to wear glasses! cuz i got alot of dust in my eyes, and i was lucky that nothing metal went in there.. and u might wanna wear gloves too.. i got a few minor burns form the metal..
;) good luck... be sure to have pics after your finished :)

Dissolved said:

those will work the best, i heard of useing mini diamon wheels too, but those are rather costly..
also be sure to wear glasses! cuz i got alot of dust in my eyes, and i was lucky that nothing metal went in there.. and u might wanna wear gloves too.. i got a few minor burns form the metal..
;) good luck... be sure to have pics after your finished :)

You dont really need to wear glasses or gloves. I didnt when I cut my window and intake hole. just keep your face far enough away and dont touch the metal right after you cut it. It will cool off in 2 secs. Also, if sparks fly on your arm they dont hurt or burn

m_mike_k said:

You dont really need to wear glasses or gloves. I didnt when I cut my window and intake hole. just keep your face far enough away and dont touch the metal right after you cut it. It will cool off in 2 secs. Also, if sparks fly on your arm they dont hurt or burn

well my antec case is very thick.. so the metal does et hot easy

I used to think that wearing safety glasses wasn't cool. Now I have a piece of metal in my cornea so I have a spot like this * that follows my eyes around the page.
Please wear them, you'll never do your metal cutting for a crowd of cuties, so there's just no point in looking cool for the garage.
It would just break my heart to see a blind (x)-modder.

Dremel is a great tool for cutting windows. Use the reinforced abrasive disks...you can see the woven mat of fiberglass just under the surface.

Using a drill for a starter hole and a jigsaw also works fantastic. I can do a window in under 5 minutes that way. A little tape on the 'foot' of the jigsaw will prevent scratching that purty paint too.
A quick deburr with the dremel or a file and viola!

Okay, so that was 5 cents worth.

most definitely wear the glasses, don't let anyone else tell you otherwise, in the very unlikely event that something harmful does come toward your eye, which person do you wanna be? besides, what good is a good looking case if you can't see the damned thing?

m_mike_k said:

Ahhhh... the inexpererience of youth. Fer god's sake wear safety glasses! Even though the cutting wheels are fiber reinforced, it doesn't mean they can't break, or that they won't kick up a splinter of metal. It's not like getting a cut on your hand or arm, IT'S YOUR EYES! I wear glasses, and I wear safety goggles over top of them. Just make it a habit. Besides, the goggles make you look sexy. Women really go for it. :D

I can't believe you would consider not wearing your glasses.. WHAT DID BOB VILA TELL YOU ??? yah that's what I thought.

When I was a little kid I was using a dremel to cut some plexi glass...a piece of hot plexi flew up and landed on my lower eye lid. when I blinked it spread accrost to my upper eye lid and then dried !! Yah ouchie. Let's just say explaining it to mom dad and the doctors wasn't fun. It was embarising...so do your self a favor. Look like Bob vila for a few minutes with your battle goggles on insted of geting embarased at the hospital.

I will also add that form personal expierence the enforced dremel wheels always break off on me and I end up using about eight or ten to do a full window. I discovered that the dialmond coated ones are worth the extra bucks, they save on agrivation and time. If you can put up the milk money, get one.

zoopa_man said:
I can't believe you would consider not wearing your glasses.. WHAT DID BOB VILA TELL YOU ??? yah that's what I thought.

When I was a little kid I was using a dremel to cut some plexi glass...a piece of hot plexi flew up and landed on my lower eye lid. when I blinked it spread accrost to my upper eye lid and then dried !! Yah ouchie. Let's just say explaining it to mom dad and the doctors wasn't fun. It was embarising...so do your self a favor. Look like Bob vila for a few minutes with your battle goggles on insted of geting embarased at the hospital.

I will also add that form personal expierence the enforced dremel wheels always break off on me and I end up using about eight or ten to do a full window. I discovered that the dialmond coated ones are worth the extra bucks, they save on agrivation and time. If you can put up the milk money, get one.

That reminded me:

This Old House Drinking Game

The Rules:

Steve drives up in a humongous Detroit iron pickup truck.
Steve says "Welcome back to This Old House (or the location)."
They introduce a new contractor.
A homeowner is pregnant. Chug if she is insulted by a politician.
Anyone says "heat pump."
They discuss the homeowner's budget. Chug if they chuckle about the inevitability of going over it.
They use a new technology. Chug if one of the regulars expresses doubts about it.
The old house is in a historic district. Chug if they make snide comments about the politics of the district.
They shake their heads at the fact that the house has no insulation. Chug if they add insulation made of recycled blue jeans, newspapers, flannel shirts, etc.
Steve is wearing a tool belt.
A contractor is wearing a shirt or hat advertising the contractor's own business.
A dog appears. Chug if they introduce the dog.
Someone visits a manufacturer. Chug if the manufacturer is outside the U.S.
Steve tries his hand at some part of the project and then laughingly says that he wouldn't want to do it for a living.
Tom Silva gets to say goodbye at the end of the show.
An inspector appears.
A politician appears.
Anyone says "vapor barrier."
Steve calls Tom Silva "Tommy."
There is a joke at the expense of Richard Trethewey.
Steve offers to help a contractor (or Norm). Chug if the contractor (or Norm) refuses.
They refer to the New Yankee Workshop. Chug if they visit it.
Norm visits or uses a local craftsman's workshop. Chug if he compares it to the NYW.
A contractor is female. Chug if they call attention to that fact.
Anyone says "sweat equity."
Someone says, "They don't make them like this anymore -- and for good reason."
In the course of demolition, it's revealed that the home's support structure is about to cave in on itself.
Someone mentions something being "not up to code". Chug if they do not intend to fix it.
Steve mentions anything on the topic of seafaring, sailing, the ocean, fishing...
Somebody misses out on the housewarming party because s/he's still putting finishing touches on some other part of the house.
Norm says, "I don't know, Steve."
Somebody shows Norm a carpentry trick/tool he's never seen before.
Steve refers to "the locals".
Steve refers to the parking situation on site.
You see someone enter or exit a Port-a-potty.
Lead or asbestos abatement contractors appear.
Norm says the word "biscuit"
Anyone says the word "ogee"
Tom Silva says the word "rot"
Steve says "I don't know, Norm..."
Steve gets out of his pickup truck and you can hear the "ding" from the you-left-your-keys-in-it alarm
Norm says "draw" instead of "drawer"
Norm "Mr. Shop Safety" Abram leaves a safety guard off a shop tool so "we can get a better view."
It's obvious that Steve and Norm are talking from a script

Finish Your Drink If:

Steve breaks anything
The historic preservation board turns them down on something
They actually finish a house project
The old This Old House music accidentally gets left into a Renovation Guide remake

Finish The Whole Bottle If:

Norm breaks anything
Anyone gets arrested for violations of historic district zoning
They ever sell that big house they renovated for themselves
You buy that big house they renovated for themselves (though realistically, the guys and WGBH could probably buy you a bottle... you'll need it

We need an Overclockers.com Drinking Game!

~Vash~

Anyone ever notice that other contractor (not Norm...Ryan?) has fingertips missing? There's always a band-aid on his fingers, and he always has the tell tale black finger nail from whopping himself with a hammer? Just watch him sometime.

He skeers me when he picks up a circular saw.:eh?:

*Riley, that's his name*

Last edited:
should add one there that you drink if Bob actually puts a handtool into his hands and performs half as good as the stoner who's workin on the house they're at!

m_mike_k said:

:eek:

I am very shocked and rather disappointed that ANYONE in these forums would not be an advocate of safe modding practices.

PLEASE people... wear your safety gear any time you are working with ANY power tool, especially when cutting metal, fiberglass or anything with a dremel or high speed cutting wheel.

No need for safety gear? REDICULOUS!:mad:

it ain'y all good....:cool:

Arkamedies said:

I am very shocked and rather disappointed that ANYONE in these forums would not be an advocate of safe modding practices.

PLEASE people... wear your safety gear any time you are working with ANY power tool, especially when cutting metal, fiberglass or anything with a dremel or high speed cutting wheel.

No need for safety gear? REDICULOUS!:mad:

it ain'y all good....:cool:

yes very true, i see the thread is getting out of hand, but neways..
even waring sunglasses and gloves i still got burnt and crap in my eyes.... so its a Must to wear at least goggles... or just just asking for that dremel wheel to break off and fly into your eye ripping it up causing you to bleed everyone and scream and never see again!

CrystalMethod said:

Ahhhh... the inexpererience of youth. Fer god's sake wear safety glasses! Even though the cutting wheels are fiber reinforced, it doesn't mean they can't break, or that they won't kick up a splinter of metal. It's not like getting a cut on your hand or arm, IT'S YOUR EYES! I wear glasses, and I wear safety goggles over top of them. Just make it a habit. Besides, the goggles make you look sexy. Women really go for it. :D

I'm not inexperienced I' ve been working in carpentry for almost 1 1/2 yrs already I'm always careful when I dont wear glasses but I do now because I dont feel like going to the hospital:D

Thank goodness! It always worries me when folks talk about not using safety equiptment. I would hate to hear something go wrong for ya bud.
:D

Back