• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Great KingMax PC2700 debate. Let's end it.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadMan007

Magical Leopluridon Senior
OK, I have been reading the various posts about the Kingmax PC2700 for the last week. I ordered some from CrazyPC over the weekend which are supposedly "-05" marking, I will see tomorrow and update this post when I read the markings.

After seeing f155's new topic I became a tad concerned and decided to do some more digging. We can see here on the Kingmax site the various DDR modules (just scroll down.) Scanning the part numbers this is what I find:

First two characters="MP" for all 184-pin (non-registered or non-ECC, I assume) modules.

Third character="D" for 266MHz modules; "L" for 300MHz modules. There is no listing for 333MHz modules (PC2700) which I find odd.

Fourth and fifth characters="A8" for 128MB modules; "B6" for 256MB modules.

There are two ending sequences: "2D-683" (which only appears on the first two listings) and "2D-68KX2" (all others.) I am not sure what the difference is here, as all the 266MHz modules (regardless of the end sequence) are listed as 133MHz DDR 7.5ns CL=2.5 in their .pdf datasheets. All 300 MHz modules (which only have the "2D-68KX2" marking) are listed as 150MHz DDR 6.6ns CL=2.5. Again, no listing of 333MHz modules. Also, in the first paragraph, it says the 300MHz modules have three decoupling capacitors (whatever that is :) ) in parallel for each DRAM, while the 266MHz modules have only two. I am sure you could see these if you looked on the module PCB as SMT devices. This is regardless of ending sequence.

Combined with Flu!d's post from another thread that I will quote:
I pulled a stick out so I could get the full information.

The sticker is marked:
MPMB62D-68KX3
DDR-333 256 CL 2.5

The Chips are marked:
Kingmax
KDL684T4A2A

Hope this helps.

So, clearly there are differences in the markings between the true 333MHz modules and the others. 1) The third character for the 333MHz (at least the ones fluid has) is "M." Anyone else see a pattern? 300MHz="L", 333MHz="M." Simple alphabetic progression. 2) The chips end in "-05." As for the rest of the chip markings I have no idea, as none of the .pdf's go into that.

To sum up, I am convinced that a marking of MPM indicates a true 333MHz module, while MPL indicates a 300MHz module. As for the "-05" on the end there is no conclusive evidence that I can find. As I said elsewhere, unless someone here is a Kingmax engineer, we cannot truly prove that -7a is not designed for 333MHz. It may just be a production run change or something. The numbers may or may not correspond to a ns rating, even if other RAM types do. I know we like to think it does, and usually it does, but I am trying to do a scientific-type proof here, and not "guess" at anything (not to diss anyone else here...)

Anyway, it would be helpful if f155 would post what his sticker and DRAMs have written on them. And if anyone else has Kingmax DDR of any speed, feel free to post your module sticker/DRAM silkscreens so we can have more evidence.

Sincerely,
MadMan

uh, thanks, but...

Thanks, but do you have any Kingmax RAM that you can post the specs of? Because that thread is no more or less informative than the many others that already exist here...

One thing I'm sure of- if it say 5 on it then we have what Kingmax is claiming to be their -5ns stuff. If it says 7a, who knows, and they're exchanging them readily enough, so why not get what you ordered

Well I am still waiting for Kingmax and Crazypc to email me back. As for the sticker on the ram, mine don't have any. I'll let you guys know how this turn out. Thanks for trying madman!

Re: uh, thanks, but...

MadMan007 said:
Thanks, but do you have any Kingmax RAM that you can post the specs of? Because that thread is no more or less informative than e many others that already exist here...

The sticker is marked:
MPMB62D-68KX3
DDR-333 256 CL 2.5

The Chips are marked:
Kingmax
KDL684T4A2A

so what do you think of my chips?

Just received my kingmax 333 memory, and the sticker says what your sticker says, but the chips end with a marking -06!

KDL684T4A2A-06 to be precise... I wonder what's going on? Maby it just depends on the patch and has nothing to do with the timings?

ROFLMAO...the drama continues...

So, UPS man pulls up and I am all in anticipation and what not. He drops the package off and scurries back to his truck (we have a pre-set "drop-off" policy with UPS.) I run upstairs and tear into the package which was quite large for RAM BTW-nice packaging. I open one of the static bags and carefully pull out the stick. Well, the sticker says MPM at least, one part down. Squinting at the chips, I read the last two digits:

"-06"

:eh?: WTF??? :eh?: lol, then I read drop's post. *sigh* now I am thoroughly confused and may give up...anticipating rising RAM prices I bought this now for a system I will be building in about a month, no mobo to test on :( Oh well, one last try by contacting Kingmax to get a definitve answer. Unfortunately, crazyPC never actually advertised the ns rating on their website, so unless Kingmax says otherwise I am keeping this crap, and hoping for the best.

To summarize, my sticker says the same as Placid's, RAM silkscreen is the same except for last two numbers, which are -06.
This is probably what I get for starting this thread to find the *Truth* :p

Edit: [mumble] "hey, maybe -06 is the newest revision, cuz 6>5. Yeah, yeah, that's it!" [/psychotic mumbling]

Last edited:
L/N and S/N

I am going to post my full sticker info here, as it also has a lot number (L/N) and a serial number (S/N)

sticker says:
-------------------------
MPMB62D-68KX3
L/N: E1C0039 MAA
S/N: 050263
DDR-333 256MB CL2.5
-------------------------

I am willing to bet a major organ that a lot of the discrepancies have to do with the L/N. I would guess that drop's and my L/N are closer than the other peeps who have "-05." What is yours dropadrop and Placid?

At this point I am just waiting to hear back from Kingmax but I am near the point of not caring. If this stuff runs@166MHz FSB then it is all good, if not then I am RMA'ing it under the "lifetime warranty."

Madman,

Please post your result soon!!! Also from what i read on you post. Your ram came with the manufacture sticker. I think I should RMA my cause I don't have the manufacture sticker on it. Without the sticker I don't have warranty??? Am I right??? If so this is total BS.

:mad: :eek:

Your the second person I know of f155mph who got kingmax from crazy pc without a kingmax sticker the link in my post above shows what the other guy got.

The kingmax memory is installed and I put heat spreaders on it so I can't get the other numbers, sorry.

I found a pic of the sticker on a stick with the -5 chips.

sticker.jpg

return that ****e and get you one with mfg stickers...

Placid:
Great! now all we have to do is decipher their lot number coding!! HAHAHA

f155:
Definitely return it and get ones with Kingmax stickers. Just call or email CrazyPC, their customer service seems to be really fast. And YES YOU NEED THE STICKER FOR WARRANTY!! lol, they say "Warranty Void if Removed." That way even if a reseller goes under you can go back to the manufacturer.

Also ask them to double-check the numbers on the RAM and send you the good stuff. Remember though, you catch twice as many flies with honey...in other words, unless they are a$$holes, be nice. I used to work in retail and some of the clowns in the store would f* with people who were mean. I do find it suspicious, tho, that they said they were out of stock but sent it to you anyway? Isn't that what happened? Maybe they removed the sticker, who knows? But they are definitely not alone when it comes to strangely marked Kingmax modules...

Keeping my fingers crossed for a month to test this crap may give me a cramp...lol

Don't worry...

I wouldn't stress. As far as I can tell they have good customer service according to www.resellerratings.com (which I always check b4 ordering anything.) Did you actually talk to them or just leave a message. I am curious to see what they say, maybe they will hook me up with some "-05" sweetness too.
All I would tell them is that 1) the RAM you ordered did not have the sticker. 2) It was marked "-07a" (or whatever) which is not PC2700 according to Kingmax (hehe, sometimes you gotta fudge a little :) )
GL and keep us updated!

Ok, I just got an email from Nick saying that he will exchange my Kingmax:D . It seem that they got a few stick from Kingmax without the sticker on it. This is really making Kingmax smell fishy! I took some pic with my camera and email it to them to prove that there were no sticker on them. I also told them i want to buy another one. The price will go up more from what I heard.

All this trouble for stupid memory:rolleyes:

goody...

So much for this thread being "A Repository Of Kingmax PC2700 memory" or whatever, but it is good to hear they are hooking you up. I would be surprised if they had screwed you. No way to get such a high resellerrating when you f* people over.

I am wondering if it was the same "Nick" fellow who emailed me this:
Hi,
I've spoken with Kingmax tech support and they tells us that they are
all
5ns memory whether or not marked 75 70a or 05. Personally, I can't
vouch for
this as I have no method of verifying if this is correct. However, the
current batch we have in-stock is marked 05. This batch should last us
the
next few days.

Regards,
Nick
CrazyPC.com

mmm, riiiiight....that is why I got -06 and you got -7a or whatever? Oh, well...tell me what you get this time!! :) Oh, and did you ask him about the numbers on the end? Would be good if he said "Yes, we will send you -xx" or something so you can be sure you are getting exactly what you want. And if he sends you -05, I am gonna exchange mine too!! hehe...

I am with you here on this fabulous CrazyPc adventure

How's that now? I take it you got some RAM from them as well. Come on, tell us your story!!
Seriously though, what markings does your RAM have on it, etc, etc.
BTW I still think it is a Kingmax or distributor issue. We happened to use the same vendor, but this has happened from others as well according to other posts...so I am not anti-crazypc. Let's just see what f155 gets back...

chill...

I would'nt blame your vendor. I bought mine in finland and got one with the -06 chips as I mentioned before... The sticker thing sounds fishy though. Did you get it in some closed bag so that the vendor can't see the ram? I guess they are pretty busy at the shop though...
I can't really see some guy who did'nt drink his morning coffee (as mentioned as a suggestion on some post) labeling so many diferant ram batches with the wrong stickers... What I would really like to hear are some benchmarks from people who first got the -07 ram and had them swithched to the -05's! That could close this issue I imagine. If somebody tells me they get the same benchmarks and fsb with both of them that would point to the direction that they are the same.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,
I've spoken with Kingmax tech support and they tells us that they are
all
5ns memory whether or not marked 75 70a or 05. Personally, I can't
vouch for
this as I have no method of verifying if this is correct. However, the
current batch we have in-stock is marked 05. This batch should last us
the
next few days.

Regards,
Nick
CrazyPC.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just wanted to add to this that my chips don't have any of the markings on this mail from kingmax... I would have imagined they would have mentioned the -06 batch too?

Back