• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New 4870 default clock at 820mhz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IR1

So I finally got my Sapphire 4870 1gb after the first one I got from Newegg was a dud, it was just DOA, and not my PSU as this new one runs great.

So I get it installed and I check the clocks and GPU core shows at 820mhz. I know default is supposed to be 750mhz, (memory is at 900mhz as it should be). Anyone know what the story is on this or seen this before. I am not complaining I just find it odd, why would the bios default to 70mhz more than its supposed to?

Interesting.

What's the model you got? Does it have any particular naming scheme on the new box? What does GPU-Z say?

I've seen something like it b4. The older reference design VT 4870s with the windtunnel coolers had 790/1100 limits on GPU and DDR clocks. The newer reference design models with the heatpipe and fin coolers have lower clock limits. I can only assume that the newer revision cards have a slightly different BIOS. Same thing could have happened to you. Does your card have a different revision number on it?

GPU-z does not give me a revision number or anything.

I did lower the clock down to 800 because I was getting a some crashing in L4D.

I was playing Crysis Warhead for about 2 hours @ 800mhz core 1000mhz memory. GPU-z reported avg temps of 80-82c at 70% fan speed. Idle its at 50c.

This is the one I got... model is SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102801

7cb.png

So its states default 750mhz but like I said it came defaulted at 820mhz and I lowered that to 800mhz.

try a driver dump and reinstalled that looks like an OC to me, the default clocks are bios clocks and the gpu ones will only be diff if you change them....

the only card on sapphire site thats 1gb is 750mhz

Right I was expecting 750mhz. Its fine though I just set it down to 800mhz which so far is stable. Just thought it was odd.

Back