• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question on a old Athlon 2600 Barton 333 FSB,socket A 462

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lordgalla

Registered
Hi Guys;I have a old Athlon 2600+Xp FSB 333,running in a Epox Board EP-8RDA3+ with 1 Gig Dual Channel 2x512 Ocz DDR 400 Ram,good excellent Gold Ram.My question is this is 400mhz ram.I have the FSB in Bios set to 166,for the rated CPU 333 FSB.Can I just up the FSB to 200 and get away with a 400 FSB on this chip? seeing the ram is good stuff? and leave the ram at Auto,or do I need to mess with other settings also on this chip.More vcore? It's running at 34C now Idle 38c loaded set at 166FSB.Ram is only running at 333,just wondered if I could get the ram up to it's DDR 400.Without killing the CPU.Thanks for any input here with this old but good chip.

You could always just run the ram at 333.. You should be able to set the ram to 400mhz by using a multiplier, similar to the way you would run a divider on a cpu overclock too aggressive for the ram.

If you have an nForce2 ultra chip set you should be able to raise FSB and lower multiplier.

it should improve speed, theres also a way to run the processor and ram seperatly as well incase you didnt want to run the processor at 200mhz FSB

whats the stock core speed on a 2600 barton? (i never had one i always had tbred b)

10x 200 should work without changing too much else and it might even go higher as many of them did/do ... :)

Assuming your Barton is unlocked, guess thats the first thing you should check. Lower your multilayer and see if it changes, if yes than it's unlocked. The "10x 200" was what every one tryed to reach, not always possible.

200 fsb should still be easily reachable even if you have a locked multi, as long as you have excellent cooling on it. I don't think I ever owned a Barton that wouldn't run at least 2300 MHz with a vcore bump.

Yep, set that fsb to 200, then set the cpu multi accordingly to get the same cpu speed as before. then slowly crank up the multi and vcore and see how high you can get it. Keep an eye on the temps. When mine was maxed out it idled at about 36C

With a proc that old upping the voltage by much may kill it fairly quickly (proc is already aged and the first signs of electron migration may already be setting in without being noticed) if it has seen a lot of usage.

Back