• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So whats a good router now a days?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SeasonalEclipse

So I am currently using a Netgear WGR614 and it just sucks.. I cant torrent on it for long periods of time at all without it spazzing. I need something that is affordable and can handle traffic, any suggestions?

I have one of those, a friend of mine gave to me; it's a crap router for sure. It's sitting really close to my "e-waste" bin.

A good wireless router is a Linksys wrt54g. D-link makes some good ones also.

+1 for wrt54g. One of the earlier versions if you can, and run the Tomato firmware.
Or if you can, get a hold of one of Buffalo's routers.

I've been wondering this, too, and I still can't find anything better than a Linksys WRT54GL. The latest WRT54G's are rubbish. I was going to get a WRT350N, but after reading it sounds like v2 uses crap chipsets and can't run DD-WRT like the v1 could. Figures.

I wish Linksys would release a router and just keep using the same internals. It's almost like they care about whether or not people mod the firmware, when they shouldn't, as they get the money for the hardware sale either way.

Linksys WRT54G FTW =D
I have one. It works great.

Got it from Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124010&Tpk=WRT54G

Whoa, $60 for this router is high, and this 'review' I think explains it:

price increase is rediculous!

Pros: Great router, we purchase a lot of equipment from new egg because they have good prices and quick shipping.

Cons: Last time we ordered this router it was 20 dollars cheaper only when we called newegg, they said the price would not go down again until after the holidays. They would not say if it was a factory price increase or if they were just increasing the price for the holidays, but I know i can get the same thing for just under 35.00 eslewhere. This kind of Business practices makes me want to take our 3,000 + dollar orders elsewhere.

Other Thoughts: I couldnt believe what they were telling me over the phone. 20 dollar increase just for the holidays? CRAZY!

So If you want to buy from newegg, you should probably wait till after the holidays?

Edit: Amazon has it for $44
http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WRT54G-Wireless-G-Router/dp/B00007KDVI

Linksys WRT54G-TM. Its similar to the WRT54GL but has 8mb flash and 32mb ram similar to the WRT54GS v1-3. Its sold through T-Mobile for $20 (in store only, online is OOS) and can be flashed to DD-WRT/Tomato.

Router.

I'm looking at a wireless as well.
What about D-Link or Belkin?? Any good?
Also, do I need a wireless NIC card?
Or, will the old style cards work? Just want to run 2 computers off the router / internet.

I'm looking at a wireless as well.
What about D-Link or Belkin?? Any good?
Also, do I need a wireless NIC card?
Or, will the old style cards work? Just want to run 2 computers off the router / internet.

If one of the computers is in another room and you want to do wireless, then you have to get a wireless PCI adapter for that computer.

I would try and have one computer hooked up to the router via the ethernet cable. to configure it properly...

I have a MS ISA TAP adapter in the new machine. The old rig has a standard NIC card. Will this work?
I can plug the old unit into the router and run the new one wireless I'm assuming.

Linksys has a new one out that is wired\wirelessN. The wired connections run at gigabit speeds, and it's fairly cheap for what you get. I saw it in staples but here is the Newegg link.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124276

My current router is a Linksys WRT150N and the wireless has great range on it. It's also fast for wireless, I get atleast 250mbps on my laptop anywhere in my house or in my yard..

EDIT: The only reason I say go with Wireless N is because it is future-proof.

Back