• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Expected GPU PPD w/old single core A64 939?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WonderingSoul

Team 32 Folding Member
I am working on setting up a dedicated box for GPU folding with the new 8800GT I just got from Torin (thanks again). I don't know what kind of stats I could expect from this old box but I am curious if anyone else would have any idea.

The rig:

ASUS A8N32 SLI D
Opteron 146 (currently testing at) 2.7GHz
2gb of Corsair XMS @ DDR 450 2.5-4-4-8
ASUS 8800GT 256

I know it's only a single core, but I am trying my best to try and get the clocks up, if atleast this 2.7GHz I would hope be alright.

Any idea on ppd? 2k? 2.5? 3.5?

if you don't plan on folding with the cpu I would down clock it & lower the voltage, in my tests the GPU2 client doesn't benefit from a faster cpu. Running an Opteron 144 in an RDX200 CF-DR below stock speed without any ppd hit on a Gigabyte 8800 GT 256. Getting 3.5K-5.4K, depending upon which work unit it gets. Adding a second card to your sli board will double your out put, as has been said many times on this forum you can run more than one GPU2 client off of a single cpu.

Thanks for the response. You have almost the same set up as me so atleast now I know a ballpark figure to expect.

What do you have your shaders set to?

The GPU client uses 15 - 25 % of one core on my Athlon X2 @ stock 1.9GHz. Gfx card is an 8800GTS 320MB (G80). I doubt the cores are much different from your 939. With the current run of WU's I'm getting about 3200PPD. But with the older (higher PPD) or newer WU's the CPU usage has stayed the same. You could definitely add a uni core client to that system as well with no effect to the GPU client.

I am working on setting up a dedicated box for GPU folding with the new 8800GT I just got from Torin (thanks again). I don't know what kind of stats I could expect from this old box but I am curious if anyone else would have any idea.

Hey, glad to help out other folders!

Btw, I had no problem clocking the shaders on that card to 1802 (or was it 1806) and having it be folding stable. There are no temp sensors on the card, so make sure to run the fan at 100%.

Back