• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

M2N-SLI Deluxe onboard audio noise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ghost2501

Anyone ever figure how to fix this onboard audio noise issue I have terrible squelching and noise and it even works along with me opening and closing windows etc. its beyond terrible.

I had an old soundblaster live card now i am trying vista 64 and there is no support for the card. The noise is still there just as bad as ever.

I will probably never get another asus board because of this terrrible issue that looking around still is a major problem.

I have heard it is bad on the other m2n boards also depending...

We never found a way to fix our A8N32's, either. :-/ Using spread spectrum helped a little but didn't fix the problem entirely. ASUS fixed that whole sound issue by moving away from Realtek. They used the Realtek 1200 (what I would call mid-grade) to finish their contract with them then started using ADI audio chips.

The ADIs are very nice HD Audio chips. The M3A78-T & M3A79-T boards (to name just a couple) have them. They've gotten very good reviews on the home theater sites (as HTPCs) and I personally can vouch for the one on my M3A78-T. When I put it to use as my HTPC I won't be adding a sound card - this chip is great ...! :)

well I bought this board because of what I heard from its sound in a great part it stinks I got a bad board. On the other note I just use what driver vista installs and on vista 64 ultimate it seems to work ok. Not one single tiny bit of noise compared to the other. I think its just the drivers for the other? It can not be a connection as I am connected now and its pure sound.

Didn't know that about the M2N. Looks like they did fix the sound issue, then, after the A8N32 came out. We never did find a driver that completely resolved the issue - at least the M2N has that on it's side ... :)

I have the ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe and my on-board audio has never worked since I got the board. But I had planed on using a better (Razer) sound card anyways, so wasnt that big of a deal for me.

After doing a lil research and reading a bunch of forums/reviews, the ASUS M2N boards are rock solid, besides having audio issues. Other than my audio issue, I have had no complaints out of my board.

Need help with M3A79-T

http://www.ocforums.com/oc_images/images/smilies/cf2.gif
My son and I have just built our first computer.
We are using Windows XP 64 bit edition.
Everything works except we can't get sound correctly. Everything in Device manager says it is working. We can hear the Windows start up jingle, so the speakers work. We can't play music or get other sound. I'm guessing we are missing a driver, but can't find it using the "find it on the Internet" update drivers tool. Could this also be a configuration problem?

Are the other sounds you're trying to hear in the *.wav format or something else? XP64 has several issues and decoders for various sound files may be one of them - but that's just a WAG ...

i never had a problem with my m2n-e sli (same board basically) just used the included drivers.

have you tried organizing the wires behind you case? i know that if there are a lot of lines running together they can interfere pretty badly.

I doubt it's a hardware issue so the sound card wouldn't help. My guess is it's XP x64 that's creating the problem as shown (IMO) by the fact that *.wav files, the Windows jingle & etc., are working but MP3 is not.

You might do some net searching for an XP x64 MP3 player/program. If nothing else you could d/l a trial version to see if it actually works - that would take some of the guess-work out of the problem ...

Maybe the same problem?

Anyone ever figure how to fix this onboard audio noise issue I have terrible squelching and noise and it even works along with me opening and closing windows etc. its beyond terrible.

I had an old soundblaster live card now i am trying vista 64 and there is no support for the card. The noise is still there just as bad as ever.

I will probably never get another asus board because of this terrrible issue that looking around still is a major problem.

I have heard it is bad on the other m2n boards also depending...

I was getting the same problem as you. I just posted my problem with this same motherboard like 2 mins ago. What was going on is that when I first turn on my computer, right next to the power supply was this really high pitched squealing noise. It went to the rhythm of my hard drives when they are working. When the computer was into Windows it was fine. I thought it was the power supply the whole time, till one day i was doing my tax stuff and just then a really loud squealing sound, then a pop and then it smelt like smoke.
Well I popped out my power supply, used the 'fancy' paper clip trick to see if it was my power supply and the darn thing turned on. Turns out, it was the 12v 4-pin power connection on the motherboard( I think it is 12v). When I have it plugged in it doesn't turn on. When it isn't plugged in, it comes on but doesn't POST.

Last edited:
I just built a system with the M2N-SLI-E, also have sound problems, this is XP Pro, 32 bit system...scratchy noises, also balance out of whack for right speaker, it was working fine during install, then when complete it started acting up...this is with AMD Phenom Q9500, with 2 gigs of Corsair DDR 2 800...will be adding another gig...the fourth won't help with 32 bit system..only shows 3. I am still on old system now, hate the thought of plowing into the stack of wiring to switch over. Its a nightmare.

Back