• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3850 agp on 450 ocz modstream ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

reboot

will it work?

450 ocz modstream psu is rated 450W: +3.3V(28A), +5V(45A), +12V(26A)

3850agp requires 450Watt or greater power supply with 30Amps on 12 volt with 2x4 power connector, well at least thats what they say at newegg.

Do you think ill be ok with out upgrading my psu?

Last edited:
well i did the psu calcultaor for my system and i got an answer of:

System Type: Single Processor
Motherboard: High End - Desktop
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 C 3000 MHz Northwood
Overclocked: 3300 MHz, 1.62 V
CPU Utilization (TDP): 85% TDP

RAM: 2 Sticks DDR SDRAM
Video Card: ATI RADEON HD 3650 512MB
Video Type: Single Card

SATA HDD: 2 HDDs

DVD-RW/DVD+RW Drive: 1 Drive

Sound Blaster - All Models: Yes

USB: 2 Devices

Fans
Regular: 2 Fans 80mm; 3 Fans 120mm;
High Performance: 1 Fan 120mm;

Keyboard and mouse: Yes

System Load: 90 %

Capacitor Aging (+ W %): 30 %

Recommended Wattage: 381 Watts

so i guess i should be ok, what do you think?

Reboot,

If you are on a budget, that Modstream should work ok. I doubt your system is even pulling what the psu calculator suggests. However, the Modstream models don't have the best reputation and depending on age, may be even less worthy. Just keep an eye on it.

will it work?

450 ocz modstream psu is rated 450W: +3.3V(28A), +5V(45A), +12V(26A)

3850agp requires 450Watt or greater power supply with 30Amps on 12 volt with 2x4 power connector, well at least thats what they say at newegg.

Do you think ill be ok with out upgrading my psu?

30 amp= that probably would be at least 500W!

Hey Rolling, tight budget at the moment, and trying to epp out enough perfromance to pvp in a lotro.
The modstream is what I already have, and have been using and is old too, maybe 5+ years I forget... Anyway thank you for the reply. :)

I ordered the 3850 agp, and I'll just have to see how it does. If it works and I can sell my 2600XT and old ram ill consider going to a better newer psu like a corsair or something. By keep an eye on it, do you mean test the voltages and see if its with in range, or just look out for stability problems on the pc?

I just loaded vista 32 on the box and got my raptors working in raid-0 and upgraded the memory too 2 gigs and I am surprised how quick this pc still is, I think its all going to work out.

Last edited:
You likely should be fine with that OCZ to be honest. Before you spend any coin, I would test it like Thunder said. Though I will mention the COrsair you picked would be a solid replacement.

Since my recent move I havent been able to find my volt meter, i dont think i'll be able to test the psu anytime soon but, I think I tested it about 2 years ago and It was still with in tollerances. Sorry, but I don't know... how dangerous can it be to not test a 5+ year old psu?

Back