• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird power glitch...sign of a problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

Ok, I was sitting at my computer yesterday, just reading a web page with nothing special going on with the computer. Running folding in the background. Suddenly my computer shuts off for a few seconds and then comes back on.

I pull about 600-700 Watts running folding. I've got a 1KW PSU and a 900 Watt UPS. I thought it might be that the UPS's battery is getting old, and it wasn't enough to handle a power flicker. I went upstairs and checked the digital clock, but it wasn't flashing. However the laptop had its display up, which should have been powered down. I also confirmed that the UPS is ok enough that it kept my computer up when unplugged from the wall for about a minute.

So, not a power drop. Maybe a power spike? I don't think my UPS has active regulation on it. Also, my media server in the basement didn't shut off either.

Any ideas what might have happened, and is there anything I should do to avoid it in the future?

sounds to me also like a power supply issue - try to load the system and see if it happens
again ...

I'm pretty sure it isn't the PSU, as it is a 1 KW SilverStone unit I bought from Oklahoma Wolf. And the computer was about as idle as it ever gets when it happened. Folding was running on all 4 GPUs, but I was only web browsing other than that. Since then, since I'm on vacation, I've been gaming heavily and it hasn't powered down once since then.

My CUWAG (Completely Unscientific Wild *** Guess) is that it was a voltage spike and that tripped the PSU. Given that while none of my other computers went down, something happened to wake up my laptop at the same time.

Back