• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

recommend some hardware please!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jakeface1

Im thinking about building a media center pc, i just completed an upgrade to my desktop and have a few extra parts i want to use. primary use would be 720 and 1080 video and maybe valve games for fun.

cpu - e6400
memory - 4x1 gig valueram pc2 4200
video card - 7300le (pretty sure i need to upgrade this?)
psu - antec 500watt

thats all i really have right now, it would be nice to get everything in a small case maybe like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144145

so if you can answer a few questions for me that would be awesome!

1. Is my cpu powerful enough for 1080 playback?
2. Do I need to upgrade my video card?
3. Will the slow memory be a problem?
4. Can you recommend a couple micro atx motherboards?

Thanks in advance! :)

p.s - my new build is in my signature!

A nice G/P45 based m/b and a Nvidia 8400 or more or an ATI 4300 or better series. Faster memory for sure. CPU should be fine.

I just finished building a HTPC as well. Something that I did that you might try is looking on ebay for cases. I got a pretty small pretty nice case off of there for like 20 bucks. Just my .02 though.

you best bet/option is to get either a Intel G45 mobo or a nVidia 9300 chipset mobo. you do not need extra video card w/ them. both has good hardware acceleration for most HD codec, and will have no problem to play 1080p Bluray movie.

Back