• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600 on Evga 780i FTW board higher than 3.2ghz please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Burgeson

Registered
Hi Guys.

I have a successful overclock of 3.2 Ghz on my Q6600 prime stable on the Evga 780i FTW board all on water.

I'm looking to overclocking higher, say even 3.4, but I can't get it stable even at that!!! even if i try 1.5v!! tried unlinking ram too. everything!!

Any recommendations on what I can change to get it higher? I only want 3.4 lol id be happy
Thanks.

Here are my specs I'm sitting at right now for 3.2ghz (all in green)
Vcore 1.4 Green
FSB 1.35 Green
Ram 2.1 Green
SPP 1.525 Green
MCP 1.3 Green
HT 1.2 Green

Ram Linked in auto ratio (Cpuz shows 3:2 ratio) = 1066 speed (FTW fully supports 1066)

for 3.4+ you may need some more SPP (north bridge) voltage, and you will need more than 1.4v in BIOS. Mine needed 1.49 in BIOS, which translated to 1.44-1.46 actual. I would also maybe try upping the FSB voltage (CPU Vtt) to 1.4, 1.45 if that doesn't work, but you really shouldn't need it that high.

Yea, you should be fine. I ran my q6600 all the way up on those when I was trying to break past 3.4/3.5ghz (I didn't make it, but I didn't kill the chip either)

The most I ever got my Q6600 Stable at was 3.4ghz, and that needed nearly 1.5v (vcore) in bios to get there.

With an FSB of only 400 MHz, you shouldn't need to apply 1.525 SPP Voltage even w/ a 65nm quad. Take iLoki's suggestion and drop it to 1.4x volts, and CPU FSB shouldn't need to be any higher than 1.3v. List your system spec's in detail, including BIOS settings besides the voltages and FSB - MEM clock that you posted (including RAM timings, and info. from the System Clocks section of the BIOS).

OMG, I have the SAME PROBLEM. Im trying to reach 3.6Ghz.
I think urs may be the high VID chip,(like mine) is the VID 1.325V?
Also post ur RAM timings, and speed

AHAHA OMG yup I have the same chip. Just like yours 1.325 VID it sucks.

I have reaper ocz ram, pc-8500 1066 mhz runing at 1066 auto link 3:2 5-5-5-18

I doubt our chips with a 1.325 vid will reach higher than 3.2

If i overclock my cpu any higher than 3.2 i have to unlink the ram to keep it at 1066.

Still havent been able to get it stable after 3.2 im guessing cause i hafta unlinked the ram and if i do that i get a crap ratio link 7:10 or 9:11 thats what cpuz shows if i try over 3.2.

write back good luck.

ok
THANKYOU, now i know its absolutely not my RAM.
my ram is Corsair 800Mhz 5-5-5-18
Oh and i reached 3.4Ghz with 1.52V, Oh yeah. but it was HOT, bout 78C, my GOAL IS 3.6Ghz for me
and i always unlink my ram.
What cooler u usin?
Im usin a Xigmatek HDT SD964 cooler. With room temps of 38-40C.
Gonna buy a retention bracket to screw it in and to cool better.
AND better thermal compound, ICD7.

Hey can you get a QDR (Quad Data Rate) higher than 1520? without the Pc telling you to reset the frequency?

Hey man, you can also try this and tell me how it goes
http://www.octeamdenmark.dk/forums/showthread.php?p=27201

Its a padmod for the Q6600. so it boots up at 3Ghz, ive read that it increases your OCing capabilities with it.
Im gonna do it as soon as i get my retention bracket.
That mod lets you get a Higher FSB, and the bios lets it use less voltage
I cant wait, so yeah, tell me how it goes

i can get my qdr higher but not stable. Im on liquid. (swiftech apogee gtz block) temps in the low 20 while idle. best ive got the pc to boot which i think it might be stable at is 3358 ghz ram unlinked but with a 1.475 vcore which is to high. I havnt tried that mod and wont. I dont want to drain my water cooling kit to try it. you can let me know how it goes.

I have essentially the same setup as you guys and I'm working on the 12hour Prime95 stability at 3.4 GHz on air.

One thing I learned very quickly is that my XFX 780i Mobo has a 0.07V drop when under load... So to hit my 1.325V VID under 100% load, I need apply almost 1.40V in my BIOS.

Make sure you check your voltage droop and drop (these forums will make you an expert) and don't be afraid to bump up your CPU voltage to overcome these guys.

My BIOS settings for FSB is 1.4V IIRC and my CPU is around 1.5125V (or ~1.4325V taking drop from 100% load into account) and the rest of the settings are still on the defaults.

If I can do 3.4 GHz on air, you should be able to do at least that on water. Don't hesitate to PM me if you have questions, I'm here trying to learn just like you are =)

Thank you bomber. so far since i started this post I have manage to get my pc to 3.4 with 1.5v core. if i clock higher its not stable... not inless I move my vcore up more.... ive tried giving my nb and fsb a higher voltage (into the red setting in bios) but that didnt help anything. Im happy with 3.4 at them moment. i will PM if i have any questions. Thank you!!!

I have my q6600 on water and it significantly helps @ 400x9=3600 @ 1.45v. Ram is linked at 800mhz. My Mobo has a v-droop mod so that is actual V. At this speed my quad puts out a ton of heat, if I'm not careful, the quad will heat up my room past 77f and then the CPU will start overheating at 65ish (normal load is 54c). I don't recommend using Air cooling for this speed, stick to 3.2ghz if your on high. This CPU is more of a space heater than anything. Just my 2 cents.

These are my voltages (I think theses are right, they may be a little higher because I now have 4 sticks of ram instead of 2, this required more voltage to get stable)
FSB:1.4v SPP:1.50v MCP:1.6v SPP<>MCP:1.3v

I have my q6600 on water and it significantly helps @ 400x9=3600 @ 1.45v. Ram is linked at 800mhz. My Mobo has a v-droop mod so that is actual V. At this speed my quad puts out a ton of heat, if I'm not careful, the quad will heat up my room past 77f and then the CPU will start overheating at 65ish (normal load is 54c). I don't recommend using Air cooling for this speed, stick to 3.2ghz if your on high. This CPU is more of a space heater than anything. Just my 2 cents.

im running my Q6600 exactly same ( water cooled) and temps never goes higher then 25c IDLE and 35c on full load.

Guys I have the same chip (q6600 g0 1.325vid) on a Evga 780i. It took in the bios 1.475 for it to be stable @ 3.4 (1512 x 9), to get to 3.6 in the bios it took 1.6v to be prime stable. Actual on mine is 1.544 as reported in cpu-z. I have my ram unlinked and set @ 1066. Have had it boot and run prime for 1 hour before erroring out @ 4ghz with 1.700v...

Michael

Guys I have the same chip (q6600 g0 1.325vid) on a Evga 780i. It took in the bios 1.475 for it to be stable @ 3.4 (1512 x 9), to get to 3.6 in the bios it took 1.6v to be prime stable. Actual on mine is 1.544 as reported in cpu-z. I have my ram unlinked and set @ 1066. Have had it boot and run prime for 1 hour before erroring out @ 4ghz with 1.700v...

Michael

it could be coz of high VID.my Q6600 GO VID is 1.125v.

Back