• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I only see 3gb of my 4gb ram and I am running XP pro 64 bit Sp2??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CordialSpam

Hey guys sorry I've searched the forums and I can't find any answer to this problem..I just got my 2gb x 2 OCZ ram and after I installed them on my original XP pro 32 bit I see 3gb..I know this is normal so I decided to upgrade to 64 BIT XP with SP2 and after I did that I can still only see 3gb..what is wrong? i've flashed my bios to latest and also dled latest chipset driver but it still doesn't fix the problem..I also did windows update :\

Yah, your mobo, is a self described (crappy board lol)

it might not handle 4GB. or at least need to be set to allow it :)

It's a BIOS setting that allows the MB to see over 2gb of ram. I've been trying to find your manual online, but haven't had any luck so far.

I found the manual, and I don't see a setting for memory remapping. I don't know where to go at this point.

Edit:
This is the closest thing I could find, but I don't think it applies. In any case, make sure it's enabled in BIOS.

IOAPIC Function
This field is used to enable or disable the APIC (Advanced Programmable Interrupt
Controller). Due to compliance with PC2001 design guide, the system is able to run in
APIC mode. Enabling APIC mode will expand available IRQ resources for the system.
Setting options: [Enabled], [Disabled].

Last edited:
APIC is not memory remapping but should be enabled anyway

Memory remapping is called exactly that or memory hole at 4G (my biostar AM2+ board) or something of that nature.

Should be under advanced options or chipset or... it just cant handle more then 4GB.. IF that is the case, ,then no setting will let you run 4GB of real RAM.. its the 32 bit memory hole. Add all (nonram) memory and subtract that from 4gb

APIC is not memory remapping but should be enabled anyway

Memory remapping is called exactly that or memory hole at 4G (my biostar AM2+ board) or something of that nature.

Should be under adnavced options or chipset

Really? I thought memory hole was for legacy systems. I did see that in his BIOS. That may be what it takes to use all the memory.

Edit:

Memory Hole
In order to improve performance, certain space in memory can be reserved for ISA
peripherals. This memory must be mapped into the memory space below 16MB. When
this area is reserved, it cannot be cached. Settings: [Disabled], [15MB-16MB].

johnz thx for the help. the IOAPIC Function is enabled by default and I also enabled memory hole and windows seems to take forever during load screen (over minutes)..and I just get BSOD right after. :\

Okay interesting I should try disabling it on my system then. Wonder how much faster it will boot :)

EDIT: NM IOAPIC and apic are differnet

"There are defective BIOSes which do not set up interrupt routing properly. This includes the errors in the implementation of ACPI tables and Intel Multiprocessor Specification tables."

Its a wiki post but might help...

nforce3 since it says 4GB limit might be limited by the x86 bus and only see 4GB minus the rest of the system like a 32 bit system would. It is kind of an old system.

memory hole info yahits bsd but its HW so should be universal.... I hope..

Last edited:
You shouldn't change IOAPIC setting once Windows has been installed. If you do, you will need to reinstall the OS unless you change the setting back to what it was when the OS was installed.

945P chipset allowed you to install 4GB but unless you have the memory remap feature, you won't be able to access all 4GB for the system. I believe the limit is around 3.4gb less your video card memory.

Damnit I Guess getting more than 3gb is out of question for me unless I get a new mobo :( O well thx for the help guys :\ I might just grab a new mobo in the future and start OCing a little bit..my current mobo can't really OC anyway :\

I'm having the same issue with the same Motherboard and same RAM (4GB DDR667)...
Will flashing the BIOS to other MSI Neo solve the prob? or it will just burn my mobo down? I once accidentaly flashed mine to a Neo 2 board and it was still working but with a 2gb ram limit... lol

EDIT:

Here's what my bios says with memory hole 15 - 16 enabled... http://i42.tinypic.com/2ldkq3q.jpg
Also if I keep that enabled my vista x64 won't boot.
Will it show 4096 ram in task manager if I reinstall Windows with the memory hole 15 - 16 enabled?

Last edited:
The Memory Hole and Memory Remapping options are two completely different things. Keep Memory Hole, or more specifically Memory Hole At 15M-16M disabled.

Start | Type msconfig in the "Start Search" field, and hit ENTER | Configuration Utility--> "Boot" tab | "Advanced options" button | Under the "BOOT Advanced Options" dialog, make sure the "Maximum memory" option isn't checked. If it is checked, uncheck it and reboot.

Yea I don't think the chipset on this board supports 4gb. I Just got an eVGA 680i LT and it worked fine and I can finally OC now with this board

Back