• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dealing with condensation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Steven-1979

What should you do to deal with possible condensation? I bought an extra 120mm radiator with the intention of sticking it out my window in the winter. There is snow out there so I assume I might have to deal with condensation? I heard I should insulate my tubing and add anti-freeze ... but besides that, is there anything else I should do? thanks :santa2:

You'll need to insulate the cpu socket, back part of cpu socket, cpu, waterblock. The cpu socket needs to be insulated with die-electric grease. back of the mobo where the cpu socket is you'll need rubber cement & neoprene. Covering the entire waterblock with neoprene is needed as well.

Around the cpu socket area also needs to be covered.

Just look at it this way: evry part that has been watercooled and has watercooling contact needs to be insulated. 1 pinhole that isn't sealed up air tight will be prone to condensation. You're in for helluva lot of work to condensate proof your gear. Good luck.

Oh man, he's sticking his rad out the window, not putting it under LN2. you dont have to go to extremes if your just pushing a little cold through the rad, especially if its not 24/7.

Number 1 thing you can do is lower the temp of your case, or drop the side off the case, whichever is easier. If you keep the parts at as low of a temp as possible, then condensation isnt an issue. Depending on just how cold we're talking, i would also look at getting a temp sensor to monitor your water temp.Unless your going extreme subzero for long periods, condensation takes awhile to form, and even then there has to be a pretty big difference, better than 50c between your room temp, and the water temp, before its going to be an issue.

Back