• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modular PSU for wire-managing in the Antec 1200 and OC'd CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I♥GFX

I really like the way Corsair packages and sells their PSUs, but open to suggestions. I want to OC my i7 920 to 4GHz, I will have a GTX 260 Black Edition (so thats already OC'd), 1 HDD only, with a Asus P6T Deluxe.

I am looking for a modular PSU that will reach everywhere in the Antec 1200 even if I manage wires by tucking them using the holes around the motherboard. I was gonna get the 750TX but realized it wasn't modular and had a whole bunch of cables I dont need.

2diqcug.jpg
Image by "alpha male"

Notice, the 8-pin cpu power connector needs to go all over the motherboard to connect, and seems like its not long enough to come from underneath?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I♥GFX;5924929 said:
I really like the way Corsair packages and sells their PSUs, but open to suggestions. I want to OC my i7 920 to 4GHz, I will have a GTX 260 Black Edition (so thats already OC'd), 1 HDD only, with a Asus P6T Deluxe.

I am looking for a modular PSU that will reach everywhere in the Antec 1200 even if I manage wires by tucking them using the holes behind the motherboard. I was gonna get the 750TX but realized it wasn't modular and had a whole bunch of cables I dont need.

2diqcug.jpg
Image by "alpha male"

Notice, the pci-e connector (I believe thats what its called) needs to go all over the motherboard to connect, and seems like its not long enough to come from underneath?

Thanks!

GFX,

Actually, that cable is your 8 pin 12v connection.

Good question. First of all, that Corsair 750 is mounted with the fan up. Not that it's incorrect, some guys do that but your are losing a couple inches right there. The Corsair HX520 and HX620 might make it but I'm not sure. Their 8 pin 12v are 21 inches and I just made it on a CM 690 case from behind.

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=5921444&postcount=22

I don't know the layout of that case but depending where they have their slots cut and where your MB 8 pin connector is, and how close your power supply is to the bottom of the motherboard, it might make it. A short extension would solve your problem either way.

Have any photos of that Antec 1200?

Edit: Picture here:

http://www.antec.com/pdf/flyers/1200_flyer.pdf

Not gonna make it without a short extension.

Last edited:
RollingThunder: How would an upside down 750TX work? I know it gives a few more inches, but wouldn't the fan be blowing air into nothing? Or is that top fan for intake? Sorry, never bought a PSU before. Also, flipping upside down gives about 6 inches for the 8-pin (thanks for the correction), that should be more than enough to reach underneath and over. Hope it doesnt look weird or cause any problems though?

I really like the 620TX since its modular, but also dont know if the wires are long enough for an Antec 1200 and if its enough power for me. Don't understand why 750TX is not modular =/

take a look at these, http://www.ultraproducts.com/product_details.php?cPath=97&pPath=632&productID=632

I have the 1600W model which I'll be using in my new i7.
Excellent PSU and a unique long cable system, my fav atm.
A) Thats too much power for me.
B) Too expensive for me.
C) Too awesome for me, I saw a video review of it, and it's just not aimed towards me.

hmm, if you want modular and a fair amount of power, i'd recommend the Antec TPQ 850w or 1000w model. you wont have to worry about the PSU orientation as the fan is at the back (80mm).

Well thats the thing, I dont want more power than I need, I want just the right amount that a 4GHz CPU and 1 OC'd 260 needs under full load. Reason for this is I break my budget if my PSU goes over $100, but I'm considering spending 10-20 more for a good one.

For one OC'd CPU and one 260, the 620HX will be more than enough. If you add SLI that's another story, but for your current setup it will be fine.

I don't know how long the cables are, but in my experiece "I'll make it fit" works very well. To me there looks to be more than enough cable on that 750TX to be able to pull the CPU power around the back and over the top, even as it is. Personally I would flip it over (which is actually the "normal" orientation) just because it would hide the wires better.

I♥GFX;5925006 said:
RollingThunder: How would an upside down 750TX work? I know it gives a few more inches, but wouldn't the fan be blowing air into nothing? Or is that top fan for intake? Sorry, never bought a PSU before. Also, flipping upside down gives about 6 inches for the 8-pin (thanks for the correction), that should be more than enough to reach underneath and over. Hope it doesnt look weird or cause any problems though?

I really like the 620TX since its modular, but also dont know if the wires are long enough for an Antec 1200 and if its enough power for me. Don't understand why 750TX is not modular =/

A) Thats too much power for me.
B) Too expensive for me.
C) Too awesome for me, I saw a video review of it, and it's just not aimed towards me.

GTX,

It's the same I thought with the power supply installed normally but it's routine and most install that way. Most cases with a bottom install are on small feet or risers that allow air to be pulled in. That fan on the bottom is intake, not exhaust. Mine is working just fine that way.

Look at the Coolermaster 690 wiremanagement thread. You see where the lower hole is for the cabling? That hole is right near the power supply whereas that Antec 1200 lower hole is away from the power supply. The standard 8 pin on the 520 and 620 aren't going to make it.

To be honest with the rig you want to build, the HX520 will handle that single high end card and your CPU. You might be about 375 watts overclocked. Get a short 8" extension for the 8 pin and you'l be fine with Corsair modulars. The 8 pin is the only cable that may be short, all the rest are plenty long enough.

For one OC'd CPU and one 260, the 620HX will be more than enough. If you add SLI that's another story, but for your current setup it will be fine.

I don't know how long the cables are, but in my experiece "I'll make it fit" works very well. To me there looks to be more than enough cable on that 750TX to be able to pull the CPU power around the back and over the top, even as it is. Personally I would flip it over (which is actually the "normal" orientation) just because it would hide the wires better.

BBB,

He wants one of the Corsair modulars. The TX750 cable (8 pin 12v) is longer by about 3".

Like I said, I don't know about the sizes of those cables. If it's short, an 8" extender would certainly do the trick like you said.

Even with it being 3" shorter though, if you flip the PSU so the cable is on the inside and route the cable between the m/b and the m/b tray, it should be long enough. But that's just from pictures and guestimates. I've never actually dealt with one Corsair PSUs (modular or otherwise) or the Antec 1200, so I may be off.

Like I said, I don't know about the sizes of those cables. If it's short, an 8" extender would certainly do the trick like you said.

Even with it being 3" shorter though, if you flip the PSU so the cable is on the inside and route the cable between the m/b and the m/b tray, it should be long enough. But that's just from pictures and guestimates. I've never actually dealt with one Corsair PSUs (modular or otherwise) or the Antec 1200, so I may be off.

BBB,

I understand what you're saying completely. I just went through the same with this new rig: Corsair HX520 in the Coolermaster 690 with the power supply fan mounted down. The 8 pin 12v just made it. I had to put the hair dryer on it to bend the connection area around without pulling on the MB connection. That cable is 21 inches. I was sweating bullets because I didn't order an extension but a couple guys in that thread told me it will make it but barely.

That Antec 1200 has that bottom hole way away from the power supply, he won't make it without an extension because the HX units are short and he will have to reach about 4" before he gets to that lower hole. Really, it's not a bad idea to have an extension anyhow just in case and they're only a few bucks.

Okay, so flip over the 750TX and itll make it?

Or buy the 620HX and buy an 8 pin connection extender? Or flip the 620HX?

A bit confused about what you guys are getting at here. And upside is the normal orientation!?

So which one do I go with guys? Leaning towards 620 since its modular...

Last edited:
I♥GFX;5925138 said:
Okay, so flip over the 750TX and itll make it?

Or buy the 620HX and buy an 8 pin connection extender? Or flip the 620HX?

A bit confused about what you guys are getting at here. With the 750 flipped, it STILL wont reach, is that correct? And upside is the normal orientation!?

So which one do I go with guys? Leaning towards 620 since its modular...

GTZ:

Here is what I see:

TX750 will make it flipped. It's about 1/2 inch longer so it will put you that much closer to the lower cable exit slot.

HX520 and HX620, mounted flipped, will need a short extension.

To be safe, order an 8" extension anyhow. That will solve all potential issues. I understand with your TX750 and your rig having all those unused cables. My rig is similar without SLI or other items that aren't SATA. Too many cables left over if I bought a non-modular so I stayed with a second HX520.

Great, the 620 is $20 cheaper, should power even an OC'd 280 according to many google results and is modular, just how I want it!

I'm looking at a couple of pics of the HX620, I dont see how it will power a GTX 260? I thought the GTX260 required an 8-pin AND a 6-pin, I dont see any 8-pin connectors in this picture:

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTE3MzU1OTY3NzFtRlRaSXpzcUVfMl82X2wuanBn

Lastly, could you give me a link to the 8" extension you're talking about? Just need a reference to look up.

Thanks for all your help, RollingThunder!

Sorry to make it so confusing. I think RT and I are actually agreeing, just in our own way. :D

If you want the HX620, go for it, just get the 8" extension. The "normal" orientation is to have the fan down, but it's really your choice. It will mean the M/B and CPU cables which are not modular will be closer to the inside, and therefore better hidden. With the 8" extension, you won't need the extra length of having it fan down though.

Buy the PSU and the extension, then figure out what will work best once you have it in front of you.

EDIT: The 260 only needs 2 x 6 pin. The 280 needs 1 x 6 and 1 x 8

Okay so HX620 + 8" extension it is! And thanks for the 260 clear up, I mustve gotten mixed watching all those TigerTV reviews on YouTube about the 280 and how it gets powered. Looks like I'm set then! All I need to power is my M/B, CPU, 1xDVD, 1xHDD, and my GPU! This thing is perfect for me, since I dont plan to SLI anytime soon.

Thanks for the help guys.

I♥GFX;5925152 said:
Great, the 620 is $20 cheaper, should power even an OC'd 280 according to many google results and is modular, just how I want it!

I'm looking at a couple of pics of the HX620, I dont see how it will power a GTX 260? I thought the GTX260 required an 8-pin AND a 6-pin, I dont see any 8-pin connectors in this picture:

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTE3MzU1OTY3NzFtRlRaSXpzcUVfMl82X2wuanBn

Lastly, could you give me a link to the 8" extension you're talking about? Just need a reference to look up.

Thanks for all your help, RollingThunder!

GFX,

All the GTX 260's I'm looking at need two 6 pin PCIe connectors. That's what the HX620 has (and the HX520). You're all set.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150330

BBB,

Yep, we are on the same page. :)

I♥GFX;5925168 said:

No, you need this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200124
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=186&products_id=2514

8 pin to 8 pin.

If you look at your power supply here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...ription=CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX 620W Power Supply

you'll see the big 24 pin connector, a 4 pin 12v and an 8 pin 12v. You won't use the 4 pin 12v, only the 8 pin 12v. The 4 pin can be tucked away in the back like here:

The third photo shows it to the right tucking into the back channel.

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=5921444&postcount=22

Your problem is with a possibly short 8 pin 12v. You can see mine in the second photo coming out the top to the motherboard's matching 8 pin 12v connector. That's where your length problem may be.

Hmm, now Im more confused. I thought CPU power was the square 4-pin 12v connector and that was the short one we are talking about ... I recently opened up a 2004 computer, the CPU power was the square 4-pin?

Back