• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does LN2 have a smell?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

liftedcj7on44s

I just recieved a MSI X58 Eclipse SLI motherboard that i bought off a forum member that had it under LN2. It smells really bad. Cant describe the smell but its "different". Does LN2 have a smell??

The LN2 itself doesn't have a smell but all kinds of things we use to insulate do. Frost King smells a little funky and since it's sticky, can leave a little odor behind. Also vaseline and other greases can smell too. I'm betting it's the neoprene or frost king you're smelling though.

You can try giving it a good scrub with some isopropyl alcohol and see of that helps.

It's not a burnt smell right? Does the board work okay?

LN2 don't have smell , but it might be the isolation material he used or something that
left smell on the motherboard ...

im sure the board works. i got it from MIAHALLEN. He wouldnt send a bad motherboard. I am thinking it may be the neoprene, but i dont know what frost king smells like. I am waiting for my i7 and ram to get here then i can boot it up. Can i boot it into BIOS without CPU and RAM? To make sure the board is ok?

Yeah, if you got it from Miah you definitely have nothing to worry about :)

Frost king is like really sticky neoprene, but thinner and fluffier.

it sorta smells like that cement glue but not quite. but it has an alcohol smell to it also. hard to explain.
on a second note i am thinking about putting the board back under LN2. so if i bought the POT thats for sale here on the classies what else would i need besides LN2?

Looks like Matt's sending all the insulation with it so aside from citing a gasket to go around the CPU socket you would be ready to rock. You don't really need a thermometer for DI, but for LN2 you would need to grab one.

it sorta smells like that cement glue but not quite. but it has an alcohol smell to it also. hard to explain.
on a second note i am thinking about putting the board back under LN2. so if i bought the POT thats for sale here on the classies what else would i need besides LN2?

i'll bet that smell is residual from the insulation....you'll get used to it. I've got a few motherboards here that smell like girls cause I used clear nail polish to cover some areas to make them impervious to condensation (water proof)... trust me its alot of fun to go to the check-out counter with with 6-10 bottles of clear nail polish a 3-4 bottles of nail polish remover (acetone) and then of course your wife asked you to pick up the one thing you'd rather not be seen carrying around the store...tampons....try to feel like a burly man then :eh?: ...but you get used to it in time.....

thanks for the answers guys. MIAH says its neoprene and Frost King. I have never smelled it before so i was just curios. Once i get all my i7 stuff and get tired of my OC limit on Air i will probably get a pot and try LN2. Been wanting to try it for a while. Where is the best place to get pots in case i cant get the one here on OCF.

Hey Matt that's like when I went and bought nail polish and Vaseline in LA before we left for Tom's. :beer:

thanks for the answers guys. MIAH says its neoprene and Frost King. I have never smelled it before so i was just curios. Once i get all my i7 stuff and get tired of my OC limit on Air i will probably get a pot and try LN2. Been wanting to try it for a while. Where is the best place to get pots in case i cant get the one here on OCF.

There are a few guys at XS that make pots :beer:

They got a pot for sale right now in the Classifieds, if you want to get it before someone else grabs it.

yea thats the one i was referring too. im not ready to buy one ATM as i still am waiting for my CPU to get here and im gonna enjoy it a little while 1st.

yea i dont think he would either. all my stuff should arrive this coming up week and i can get it up and running. This is the board that he helped team ironmods win the championship with. So it should clock nicely.

Back