• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PATA SATA Combo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jsimacek

Registered
Hi guys I havnt put a computer together in years so Im a little rusty. I am planning on getting an ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe motherboard ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131339 ) and running one of the new phenoms coming out on the eighth. Now the motherboard specs say it has 6 SATA and 1 PATA. Now does that mean I can hook up 8 Drives at once? Or do you have to choose between PATA and SATA. if you can I want to put a DVD burner and Blue Ray burner on the PATA and have 6 1TB SATAS. Is this possible? and if so do I just plug them all in or do I have to do some kind of RAID. ( Have never done it before is why I ask. I have always assumed raid is when you try to have more HDDs than ports ). All help is greatly appreciated.

Hi, Yes this is possible on this mobo. YOu do not have to have any RAID set up to run them all either (RAID is only is you want to keep all of your data backed up, have all of the drives together to make a big and so on). The only thing i would say is that if you was going to have all these drives on your PC get a good PSU. Lots of drives can take a lot of juce. In my pc i have a SATA 300 HDD, a SATA DVD-RW drive and an old Seagate PATA drive together and they are fine

good question I dont know I hope so Because I dont think their are TB PATA drives

I don't think they do... couldn't find one on newegg other than a thin profile one, prolly for a notebook

And NO, raid is not when you are trying to have more drives than ports... you still have to have a port for each drive. The SATA is one drive per port and the PATA (ide) 2 drives (the old master/slave thing)

They only make SATA Blu Ray drives because PATA is too slow. I think you can get 1TB PATA drives but not 100%. I know they make 500gb and maybe 750gb.

Well thanks guys I have all the info I need to make my decision. All help is greatly appreciated

6 SATA drives plug them in one at a time, the IDE two at the most with your board.:beer:

Last edited:
Back