• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seagate External Hard Drive> Recognized but NO Mounting. Help Plz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

I have a friends Seagate external drive. A Seagate One Touch External Hard Drive (NOT MAXTOR). It's a large silver shaped square w/rounded corners, black lettering. Part Number 9Y7865-560, Serial Number 5NF-133SY

I have the unit plugged into the back of my computer with a USB cable. However, when plugged in, while Windows XP reports the drive is recognized, it doesn't mount at all.

The drivers I have are MS version 5.1.2600.0

There's nothing to update. The drive doesn't appear in anything at all, not explorer, not anything.

I plug it into a back USB port, the drive is read, In Device Manager, under Drives it reads ST330062 2AS SCSI Disk Device (my hard drive), AND ST330631A USB Device.

Under Disk Management, the drive appears as black, Disk 1, with a Red Circle/white line icon on the disk, and it box also says "Unallocated" When I right click on this "black drive" and select properties I see ST330631A USB Device.

Under USB Devices, the drive is listed as USB Mass Storage Device.

This drive has information on it, as I was going to copy some files to my machine to it, and from the Seagate as well...

All I know is that my friend uses this External Drive with MacIntosh notebook. However she said a friend of hers has used it with a PC.

What's wrong, why can't won't the drive mount?

HELP PLEASE!

Last edited:
Well it is safe to assume that the warranty on the drive is expired, so I would suggest taking the drive out of the "box" to see if the hard drive itself is still functiong using the basic SATA or IDE interface. By doing this you will know if it is the the HD or the USB controller of the box that is faulty.

Good luck,

Bryan D.

I cannot do that...this is MY friend's drive..not mine. She has tons of information that if lost I would be to blame haha..

Then you are screwed. Take it to someone that knows what they are doing.

If you can't take a drive out of a box held together by a couple of screws, then her data should not rely on your skills or lack thereof.

If you knew what to do and weren't afraid to do it:
Put the drive on a direct interface to the system, bypassing the USB controller. If it's not readable, use a partition recovery program to see if it can see the data. If the program is not designed to tell you what you will see before you make actual changes, find another program.

Seagate drive

I have the same drive. I've tried the USB with both my Windows Xp and with my Vista machines and the USB function won't let the drive be seen, however...I've had good success when I use the Firewire port instead.

Then you are screwed. Take it to someone that knows what they are doing.

If you can't take a drive out of a box held together by a couple of screws, then her data should not rely on your skills or lack thereof.

If you knew what to do and weren't afraid to do it:
Put the drive on a direct interface to the system, bypassing the USB controller. If it's not readable, use a partition recovery program to see if it can see the data. If the program is not designed to tell you what you will see before you make actual changes, find another program.

I know to work a screwdriver jeez.I built my last 3 external hard drives and my own rig...

My point was, w/out having to go into details, but now your answer has "required" that I do so...IF I were to take it apart, and something did go wrong either after I put it back together or once I returned it to her. She would of course ask what happened to the drive when I borrowed, and when I told her that I had to take it apart, I'd get "shot" on site by her. OK..if it was my own drive, I'd have taken it apart long ago, and hooked it up as a slave drive myself jeez..

I have the same external drive and would like to replace with a larger drive ... I have the side cover off, but can't determine which bit I need to remove the screws holding the other side cover in place (capturing the drive). I've tried torx, security torx, and everything else that I can find laying around.

Any ideas (short of a reverse pitch drill bit)?

Back