• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo/Power Supply incompatibility

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Summit

So, apparently I've been away from the hardware configuration scene too long because I just ordered a case with an included power supply (who can pass up a sale, son?!) and an EVGA nForce mobo, and it doesn't seem to be a compatible pairing.

Now to be frank, my terminology is god awful. I don't know the names of the ports/plugs/specs I'm asking about so I hope my best descriptive diction and a coupla pics will suffice.

My issue is this- the 24-pin ATX power from the power supply to the mobo connects fine at PWR1. But, the 4-pin ATX 12V power from the power supply that (according to mobo manual) provides power to the CPU doesn't fit the 8-pin port on the mobo.

0102091810.jpg

1-1.jpg

Do I:
1) send the case/power supply back to newegg and exchange it for another board type?
2) try to get it to work with 4 of the 8 ports empty?
3) both?

Obviously I am extremely under-educated in power supply compatibility. The tech support dude from Rosewill said something about "rails". wtf is he talking about?

Also, what spec should I look for if/when I exchange this case/power supply for another (i'm happy with the motherboard + other components) so that I don't have this incompatibility? I know I only need about 350-400 watts as it will be used only as a "homework / internet" computer for my coworker's daughter and they are on a pretty tight budget. I thought as long as the case and mobo were both ATX that you were okay... guess not?

Thanks...

Last edited:
You can run fine with the 4 pin plug, Your motherboard manual should tell you witch 4 pins are the correct ones to use. On my wifes Biostar board it was the 4 closest to the CPU. You can also get a 4 pin to 8 pin adapter if you so desire.

Dont expect OC capabilitites, but if the 4-pin provides enough power for the CPU that's going in there, you should be just fine.

-D

Also, what spec should I look for if/when I exchange this case/power supply for another (i'm happy with the motherboard + other components) so that I don't have this incompatibility? I know I only need about 350-400 watts as it will be used only as a "homework / internet" computer for my coworker's daughter and they are on a pretty tight budget. I thought as long as the case and mobo were both ATX that you were okay... guess not?

Thanks...

You could just order a power supply to replace the current one in there. You're looking for an ATX12V and/or V2.2. They should include the 8-pin connector.

Here is the model I think you might have:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182006

And here is the "upgrade" of it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182074

What I suggest:
Your configuration is fine. 4-pin only means it might not provide power for CPU's with high power requirements. Let us know what CPU is going in there.

-D

awesome! thanks for the posts and advice, guys.

It's just a "homework computer", so overclocking capability is not a concern. It has an Intel Core 2 Quad 2.33ghz, with the cooling fan it came with (a slight concern as I always upgrade this on my own machines, but she's on a tight budget, had to cut corners somewhere). I s'pose I'll try to fire it up and see what happens...

seems to post fine!

All I need now is an optical drive (which I forgot to order... d'oh...) a windows cd and a burn-in program and we're good to go!

Thanks all for the help, hopefully that'll be the last of the issues and this one will go to bed to the tune of an extra $100 in my wallet.

Theres only one thing to worry about that with your current config, and it is the slight chance that your CPU power plug could get pulled out. Its almost impossible if you aren't doing work inside the case, but it could happen.

I am running a 4pin cpu power and my mobo has an 8pin plug. It's fine, you can OC with it (my e2180 is on 4pin power), the 8pin I believe is mainly for Quad core processors.
oh i see you do have a quad in there. well it may affect your oc'ing a bit.

Last edited:
Dont expect OC capabilitites, but if the 4-pin provides enough power for the CPU that's going in there, you should be just fine.

-D

Why not? My 4-pin Bluestorm can get the E8400 up to 4ghz just fine... :shrug:

(Or do you mean because he has "the psu that came with the case.")

i have oced dual cores on just the 4pin connection even though the psu has 8pin for the Ip35-pro. OCing for my dual cores was not effected in any way neither was stability while oced. you MIGHT need the 8pin when tring to oced a quad core but i dought it. Netburst Dual cores pulled more current then Core 2 quads. Those for the 90% of there life were on mobo's with only 4pin power connections on the mobo. It is going to come down to the quality of the PSU, you might find that the motherboard manufacture has a fail safe. that if it doesnt detect the 8pin connection it will not start up at all. If the system isnt being oced at all and it starts up with the 4 pin only connection don't worry.

i have oced dual cores on just the 4pin connection even though the psu has 8pin for the Ip35-pro. OCing for my dual cores was not effected in any way neither was stability while oced. you MIGHT need the 8pin when tring to oced a quad core but i dought it. Netburst Dual cores pulled more current then Core 2 quads. Those for the 90% of there life were on mobo's with only 4pin power connections on the mobo. It is going to come down to the quality of the PSU, you might find that the motherboard manufacture has a fail safe. that if it doesnt detect the 8pin connection it will not start up at all. If the system isnt being oced at all and it starts up with the 4 pin only connection don't worry.

Depends on what is avail on that rail / connection... But generally there should be more on tap with 8-pin to get the headroom for OC'ing. I'm not saying you wont be able to OC, just that there is the possibility that your available current might bottleneck your OC results...

-D

Depends on what is avail on that rail / connection... But generally there should be more on tap with 8-pin to get the headroom for OC'ing. I'm not saying you wont be able to OC, just that there is the possibility that your available current might bottleneck your OC results...

-D
We are on the same page:)

right but that also directly speaks to the quality of the unit, as i mentioned. on a cheap psu from a case ocing would be a NO NO, but stock should be fine.

Back