• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking about joining, have a few questions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

boorishid

So we are overclockers.com in the team stats on the f@h site rite?

Also i use to watch dl.tv a bit and they were always trying to get people to join there F@H team and recommending the gpu client over the cpu client, Is that a good way to go even if you have a qx9650? Will the video cards in my sig fold nicely?

Im waiting on all my new stuff to ger here in a big new egg box this week, as ive been through about 4 system changes in the last two months, but the rig in my sig will be my perm daily user when it arrives. Just been jivin around sellin old stuff buying new stuff trying to find out what i want. But im definately going to join ones my new rig is up ad running.

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=32 << Yes, that's our team.

You should probably run both the GPU and CPU clients. Check out the thread called "Multi VM SMP Guide" by Cluster. You'll get the best results by running to virtual machines with the Linux CPU client in each.

Just saw that you have two 4850s... I'm not personally sure how well multiple GPU clients interact with VMs but I'm sure someone else can clarify that soon ;)

:welcome: to our team and our forum, boorishid!

You'll want to use the EOC stats that Is_907 has linked to in his post. *MUCH* better.

Yes, the GPU's are incredibly fast at what they do, and now that we have the client program that can manage their incredible speed, they are definitely the way to go.

However, Quad's are still the bad boys of SMP folding, and while it may not be as fast as GPU folding, there is a slick way of doing *both*. :D :D :clap:

It's like having your cake, eating it too, and never gaining an ounce. You won't believe all the points you can get if you follow the detailed advice that Cluster and ChasR (amongst others), give you. They have made getting a lot of points, into a fine art.

In a recent phone call with a relative of ChasR's, it was mentioned that his first words as a baby were "more points!" :p :p :p j/k

If your running 4850s, more than likely your going to have both gpu clients using up pretty close to two cores. They should net you around 5-9k ppd dep ending on WUs. generally my 4850 gets around 4k ppd, and uses about 20% of one core. Maybe future clients will use less cpu time. For the other 2 cores, as was mentioned, the linux cpu is the only way to go. 2 cores running the windows smp client will be lucky to get 1k ppd, where the linux client should get 3kppd easily. The guide is in my sig for the linux setup.

Back