• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Joining Fan Wires?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheThermaltaker

How do I join fan wires together? My MM Ascension acrylic hybrid is going to have 21 fans total: 6 fans on both radiators, 3 fans above the first rad, 1 fan above the second, 1 over the motherboard, and 4 on top (Diamond pattern, but with 120's instead of 80's) 17 of them will be blue LED Yate Loon 1350's and the rest will be standard Yate Loon mediums. How many could I fit into each port of the 30 watt Rhoebus? I'd like to join them as neatly as possible because the case is nearly all acrylic. Is it a simple job of soldering and heatshrinking the fans' red, black, and yellow wires together or is it a more complex job? The back and front panels will have 6 fanned radiators where the black boxes are. I won't be able to wire the top fans together because they're on the corners, but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to wire the motherboard fan to one of them. As for the radiator fans, would the 30 watt Rhoebus handle 4 LED fans and 3 standard fans on one port, and 9 LED fans on another?

CasePanels.jpg

it is just soldering or twisting them together and heatshrink. each yate loon will use 3.6 watt.

it is just soldering or twisting them together and heatshrink. each yate loon will use 3.6 watt.
So in that case I could run the back panel's 7 fans together, the front rad's 6 fans, and the front panel's 3 fans together. What would look better, soldering them together or twisting them all together?

If you are not comfortable with soldering, take a look at some online manuals. It is very easy to do. Just make sure that you are well set up with enough room or else it can get very frustrating to get everything the way that you want it.

Having one of those little things with alligator clips on little arms was always a great help to me for holding everything in place.

I also keep a wet sponge close by to wipe off extra solder.

If you are not comfortable with soldering, take a look at some online manuals. It is very easy to do. Just make sure that you are well set up with enough room or else it can get very frustrating to get everything the way that you want it.

Having one of those little things with alligator clips on little arms was always a great help to me for holding everything in place.

I also keep a wet sponge close by to wipe off extra solder.
I'm comfortable with soldering and have done it a few times, but I haven't tried it on computer wires yet. After setting the fans up on a rad to find where the wires could go it's going to be easy to solder them together.

does this mean, on a fan controller with 4 fan connectors, you can solder fans together so 1 connector can control 2 fans? (if you soldered to fan wires together).

does this mean, on a fan controller with 4 fan connectors, you can solder fans together so 1 connector can control 2 fans? (if you soldered to fan wires together).

Yes, but make sure your controller can handle it. A good number of fan controllers are 7W/channel. Two fans would easily blow one; heck, some high-speed fans would do it by themselves. The only controller I know of that has a good amount is the mentioned Rheobus Extreme (made by Sunbeam, if you're interested). I've got one in my CM-690 and love it.

EDIT - I should note my research stopped when I found the Rheobus Extreme, so there may be more. Didn't want to give the impression that was the ONLY one when I don't know that for sure.

Since my case is going to be mostly acrylic I'm trying to manage the wires. I have a 6 port fan controller, so there's enough room to mount them, but instead of the wire mess that you get from attaching 6 molex connectors to eachother soldering everything together to make one connector would work perfectly. I'm thinking of buying a bunch of extenders as well and taping all the wires to the frames of the case where you can't see them, but I won't know until the system is all set up.

You could also just attach the fans' molex connectors to eachother.

Yes, but make sure your controller can handle it. A good number of fan controllers are 7W/channel. Two fans would easily blow one; heck, some high-speed fans would do it by themselves. The only controller I know of that has a good amount is the mentioned Rheobus Extreme (made by Sunbeam, if you're interested). I've got one in my CM-690 and love it.

EDIT - I should note my research stopped when I found the Rheobus Extreme, so there may be more. Didn't want to give the impression that was the ONLY one when I don't know that for sure.

hi, i was able to find two controllers that can support multiple fans. the Lamptron Hummer can support 100w per connector, while the Lamptron Military Baybus can support 60w per channel. :clap:

http://hardwarebistro.com/index.php...FAN-ATIC-5-Port-Military-Switch-Baybus-Review

i have like 10 fans, so i want to be able to control all of them.

I've decided to wait until the case is in next week to start cutting and soldering fan wires. In the meantime I'm thinking of ways to get as many wires together as the Rhoebus Extreme will fit without letting wires hang (they're going to be hidden in the frame). With a bunch of Molex extenders I can easily get the back side's 7 fans joined and discreetly routed up to the fan controller. Same goes for the front panels 6 rad fans and 3 front panel fans (which will be done seperately as 9 will overload the controller). If I solder some extra wire onto the top panel's fans I can get all 4 combined and plugged into the controller with ease. Since I have no plan on using the 3 pin controllers, can I just snip off the yellow wire and put electrical tape over it? There are more soldering steps to making it work that I can't explain easily, but if I cut the yellow wire short will the fan still work properly? Because from what I know the yellow fan is just for speed monitoring. And will any current be flowing through it, or could I leave it without electrical tape?

Back