• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange ssh warning

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
Code:
 ssh inanutshell.no-ip.org
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@       WARNING: POSSIBLE DNS SPOOFING DETECTED!          @
The RSA host key for inanutshell.no-ip.org has changed,
and the key for the corresponding IP address 24.170.169.73
is unknown. This could either mean that
DNS SPOOFING is happening or the IP address for the host
and its host key have changed at the same time.
@    WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED!     @
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
It is also possible that the RSA host key has just been changed.
The fingerprint for the RSA key sent by the remote host is
f9:bd:7d:ab:e4:9a:33:c4:e5:b7:e2:37:c4:f4:70:15.
Please contact your system administrator.
Add correct host key in /home/shelnutt/.ssh/known_hosts to get rid of this message.
Offending key in /home/shelnutt/.ssh/known_hosts:4
RSA host key for inanutshell.no-ip.org has changed and you have requested strict checking.
Host key verification failed.

Weird. I was just trying to ssh into my router. I have ssh enabled, and I use the no-ip.org redirecting services so I don't have to remember my ip addy anymore. Should I be concerned about this, or do I just need to redo my keys?

Depending on circumstances neither.
Have you logged into this domain before with ssh? or have you a dynamic IP?
Have you installed your debian/ubuntu after mid 2005 and not logged in since your last update of it (the debian ssh problem last year)

did your ip address change? i am assuming that it did. that is why it is throwing that message. for example it is expecting the key 'abc' to match with '123.123.123.123' but after your ip changed, it is trying to match the key 'abc' to '213.213.213.213' so it thinks that someone has redirected the hostname to a new ip address which in fact that your dhcp release with your isp expired and you received a new ip address.

you just need to edit '/home/shelnutt/.ssh/known_hosts' and remove the 4th line from the file. next time you connect, you won't get that message. we see this sort of message when we replace old servers with new ones.

Back